We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

Just planning our trip to Rottnest which is just a 1 day over and back from Fremantle. The plan is to take the 9:30 ferry across and the 4:25 ferry back to Fremantle. As we do not want to go if the weather is bad we would like to book/buy tickets on the day but worried that it may book out if we do not pre book. Any comments on the likely hood that it will be booked out? We are in Fremantle for 6 days so are flexible (somewhat) to going on a different day. We are there near the end of August and the original plan is to go to the island on a Monday.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

As it is not school holidays, it is unlikely to book out. However, one company, Rottnest Fast Ferries (not the one you intend to use) is not operating during that period due to ferry mainteance which could increase demand.

If it was me, I'd wait until I knew the weather forecast and then would book - so around 4 - 5 days in advance. I have faith in the BOM :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

Maybe ring a week out and check on general availability if you are worried - for me I would just not risk a day ruined by bad weather so i would book only 1 day or 2 before going - even the BOMeterology can have weather patterns speed up or slow down unexpectedly.

(Sorry but we had a 10 day holiday there years ago which was a total failure, we ended up coming home several days early when it was rainy and horrible in winter. Its just so difficult to get around on Rottnest when there's a terrible wet gale blowing. Better in a car driving to Mandurah or Yanchep for the day instead where you can at least be warm and dry behind a windscreen.)

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

We're actually going tomorrow, on cheap Tuesday.It's the one day of the week that they do discounted fares. I've read that you need to go when the weather is fine, so we looked up the weather forecast and there may be a light shower, but we're taking a chance as we got tickets online for $117 for 3 adults return which was very reasonable.. Was quoted $75 pp return at the Fremantle Tourist information office here. So when you're here, check the weather forecast, and if it's going to be ok, book online for a Tuesday and save some money.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,571 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

I'd be surprised if it booked out on a winter weekday. I've bought tickets on the day loads of times.

One of my favourite trips to Rottnest was a 22 degree clear sky winter day. Lovely for cycling around and beach strolls and a pint in the pub beer garden afterwards. Here's hoping you get the same.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

Abbykat - the seas will be quite rough this Tuesday, with wind and swell from the west with seas up to 3.3m (it's the biggest swell of the week). Definitely take some seasickness tablets! The ride back in the afternoon should be slightly better as you'll be going in the same direction as the swell, but it will still be plenty bouncy. I'm curious to know how you go, given recent discussion over here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k7…

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp

Very windy today but at least the wind will have died off a bit by tomorrow.

[Oops, I forgot to post this yesterday! Well, the link to the other thread and the seabreeze site is still useful...]

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

We went, we saw and we got a bargain. Discount Tuesday is the way to go, but keep in mind, the ferry WAS FULL, so check the weather forecast a few days out, and if it looks ok, book online. We got it for $117 return for 3 adults. As I mentioned in my previous post, we too, were worried about the weather. but chose to go because the weather forecast only predicted a small amount of showers and the price was very good. It was raining in the morning prior to our departure. The trip over was pretty rough, (6 out of 10 according to staff), but the return trip was very smooth. We only had one slight shower for 5 minutes in the afternoon, the rest of the day was lovely and sunny. The $20 hop on hop off bus was excellent. Takes around 45 minutes to do a loop of the island, and most of the people stayed on. The commentary given by the woman driver was excellent. We also hired bikes for half a day (12.00 - 3pm only for $16 pp.)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,013 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

Glad you had a good day, Abbykat. I love Rottnest in winter, well, any time of year really. One trip over was a real shocker- no idea why it wasn't cancelled- waves over the top of the ferry, watching the smaller rival ferry actually disappearing under the water with the big waves...Kwells kept my tummy on an even keel even while my heart was racing :-)

Cycling over to Geordie Bay with a brisk wind sleeting across the salt lakes, who knew rain could taste salty? Arriving at our cottage soaking wet and freezing, drying off in front of a warm fire drinking hot chocolate...great time after all :-D

Howlong, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

We have booked at the office, last Friday, beautiful weather, and since then it has turned badly... tomorrow looking awful, not sure what to do.... they only refund if the trip is cancelled, advice greatfully appreciated.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,013 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

Realistically you have only two choices, take the trip and bring rain gear (and seasickness tablets if needed) and hope for the best, or stay onshore and wear the cost of the tickets. Personally I tend to hope for the best and look for "the good bits" of a less than stellar travel experience, but everyone's different.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rottnest Island and Ferry in Winter

So true Yorkie. Every single day of a holiday cant be perfect - that would be boring. As the saying goes:

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.

Get answers to your questions about Rottnest Island