We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

Which West Point hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville...
1 post
Save Topic
Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

Hi Everyone:

I am hoping you can help me. My family and I (5 of us - 4 adults and two teenagers) will be flying into Newark International Airport on August 7th and will be staying in the area until August 15th. I am trying to figure out where to stay. We will be going to West Point on August 13th for Acceptance Day and again on the 14th to spend time with my Grandson. The rest of the time we will be doing the touristy things in the New York City area. Currently I have rooms reserved at the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. The hotel has shuttle service to and from the hotel to the airport, free breakfast and free parking. We will be renting a car only for the weekend to go to and from West Point. What is the cost to take the train or bus to and from Elizabeth into Manhattan? Is that the best way to go? Should I look for a hotel closer to Manhattan? Or is where we are staying a good idea? I was trying to stay out of the Manhattan area due to the cost. We have already spent enough on flights to get us all there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
909 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

Train fare from Elizabeth is about $5.00. Not the prettiest/healhiest place to stay though. Usually business people going to Elizabeth stay in Times Square and reverse commute. But you are going to be there in a very expensive time.

I always make reservations somewhere, and then try priceline bidding everyday with the hopes something will open up in Manhattan. (I never do 1 star.) When I have to stay in NJ, I stay at the Newark Hilton because train access is right there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
909 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

Why not stay in Cold Spring Aug 12, and 13th or even 14th? Much more pleasant.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,513 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

While I can certainly understand your feelings about having paid a lot for airfare, you did opt to stay for over a week and it's not easy to find accommodation for 5 people. Unfortunately Priceline is not an option for you with a large family; they only guarantee a room with 1 bed for 2 people in NYC. Btw, while you say you're 5, it sounds like you're 6? Will one be staying at West Point?

I'd say Elizabeth is a poor choice in every way; you'll pay much too much for transportation for all of you plus the time it will take going back and forth every day. I also think the idea of doing 2 daytrips to West Point from Elizabeth makes little sense.

The Hampton Inn Riverwalk in Harrison, NJ has rooms starting at ~$110/night plus tax that will sleep at least 3. (king bed plus sofabed) and includes breakfast. It's near the PATH train station that costs $1.75/person each way into Manhattan and gets good reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46494-d523919-…

I would get 2 of those for Aug. 7-13 so you're not all sharing 1 bathroom and at that rate, it's a good value. I'd stay nearer West Point the night of the 13th and possibly even the night of the 14th. You should be able to find something in a nearby town by looking on maps.google.com

mapping West Point Academy and then using the search nearby feature for hotels. Newburgh, NY isn't far and has a lot of hotels.

Depending on the hour of your departure on the 15th, either stay near the airport if it's an early flight, or if you think you might get one last day in of NYC, maybe splurge on a room or 2 in Manhattan.

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

"Train fare from Elizabeth is about $5.00. Not the prettiest/healhiest place to stay though. Usually business people going to Elizabeth stay in Times Square and reverse commute. ". That is not true. The train fare is $6.75. Most bussiness people who do bussiness in the area stay in Elizabeth at the hotels. To the PO I would stay closer to West Point. I beleve there is a hotel on West Point or right at the gate. Also if you do stay in Elizabeth thee is plenty to see in New Jersey as well. Here are a few links.

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
909 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

Sorry- last time I did it I had a $5 fare. Maybe it went up?

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
790 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

I think you will get a lot more out of your trip if you stay in the Hudson Valley. There is no comparison between that and Elizabeth.

7. Re: Going to West Point for Acceptance Day in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about West Point