We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

Which White Plains hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Topic
Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

Hi all, I'm in need of some info please - arriving in about 3 weeks.

1. Hotels: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance? Advice on which is better or comments on rooms, location, distance to food, etc?

2. Approx cabfare from Newark? I arrive at night after an 18 hour flight so don't want to drive.

3. Weekends. What's fun to do and see in the area? Can I do Manhattan as a daytrip or should I plan to spend a night (or 2?)

Cheers

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

This is a very sad forum. Bumping myself up for another shot at a possible response. Any takers this time around? Please? LOL!

UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

Staye at Renaissance over Xmas and didn't rate it - the Crowne Plaza is opposite - both are ideally situated for Times Square and theatre district or try the Hilton Times Square which is a lot cheaper and offers better service and rooms. Sedan from Crown Limos from Newark, approx 50 dollars + tolls and tips to Renaissance.

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

Thanks beaubrummie, that's good info to have when I head into NYC. Unfortunately what I'm after is info on these hotels in White Plains.

Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

We are also deciding between the Renaissance Westchester Hotel & the Crowne Plaza Downtown, both in White Plains. Anyone recently stay at either?

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

Hi there DLH,

Given what I had heard from people who had stayed at the Crowne Plaza (and also the TA reviews and tips) I decided to go with the Renaissance Westchester. I really liked the rustic charm of the place, and it was a very nice change from the towering city hotels I’m used to staying in. The service was not as good as I had expected, but it was generally OK. Has a nice heated indoor pool. I never got a chance to try it out but there were always people in it, even when it was snowing outside. Climate control in the room was excellent. Could not have asked for better.

If you have a car, you can park round the back which is very close to the (secure) entrance to the guest room area. I liked that.

A potential downside of the place is that it is kinda tucked away in a corner, pretty much out of the way of any shops or restaurants. I had a car and didn’t mind driving out. It’s only 5 minutes to downtown White Plains (a place to go if you want to die of boredom but that’s another story). The other potential downside is the open car park. We had a snowstorm while I was there and I didn’t particularly like spending 10 minutes for a couple of mornings de-icing the car before driving to work.

Happy to help if you have specific questions. Cheers.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

The Crowne Plaza is in an excellant location. Close to shopping and food places. The Westchester Mall is next door. Rooms are fine, not fancy but isnt location everything. Renaissance is fine but you need a car or taxi or bus for anything. Also at Crowne Plaza you can take Connecticut Limousane from Newark righ to the front of the hotel. NYC is a 35 minute train ride away but I recommend trying to stay there for a night or 2 Experience the sights and sounds of NY. Try the Marriott Times Square best location and 2 blocks to Broadway. I was in Singapore 5 years ago. What a city.

7. Re: Crowne Plaza or Renaissance & other Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 09:18