We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski recommendations for family for MLK weekend

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
295 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Ski recommendations for family for MLK weekend

We went as a family (2 adults, 4 kids) to App Ski Mountain last year, took lessons, kids especially, and enjoyed it. This year we are going up with another family and I am not sure which slopes would be best. For our friends' family, the adults are experienced (used to go to Wintergreen a lot, plus husband has been many times out west), and the kids are total beginners. I am wondering which place would be best for lessons, but satisfying to the experienced ones. I should mention that the kids range in age from 6 to 14.

The fact that the only weekend we can all go is this upcoming MLK weekend is also a factor. I know App Ski Mt is smaller, so would it be more clogged up with the holiday crowds? Or are the crowds less there even on holidays?

And how about tubing? Sugar? Hawksnest? We did Jonas Ridge a few years ago, but that's been our only experience.

We will be staying at my folks' place in Linville Falls.

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski recommendations for family for MLK weekend

To satisfy the experienced skiers, I think you will need to go to Sugar or Beech. All will be crowded MLK weekend. It seems to me that Beech is a little less crowded since it is a little more difficult to get to. Also Beech has the high speed quad chairlift to the top. Conversely, many expert skiers seem to prefer the black diamond runs from the top of Sugar.

I can't really speak for the lesson quality for novices, but expect that Sugar and Beech are equal.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,319 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski recommendations for family for MLK weekend

Sugar offers a tubing run, snowboarding and snowshoeing. Beech has a snowboard park and skating rink.

If you have a place to stay, why not try one and then try the other another day.

www.skibeech.com

www.skisugar.com

Reply to: Ski recommendations for family for MLK weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banner Elk