We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

Which Banner Elk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
honolulu
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

We're spending a night on our way back to Asheville. Which would be the best location to spend the night? Boone, Banner Elk or Blowing Rock?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

It doesn't really matter a whole lot. They're all so close together. Blowing Rock is a little smaller and a little more touristy. Boone is home to Appalachian State University so has a bit of a college town feel. Banner Elk is also smaller and a wee bit further away from the other two, but the travel distance is negligible in my opinion. If you find accommodations that you really like in any of the towns I think it would be fine. I'd probably go with Boone or Blowing Rock myself, but Banner Elk is lovely too. I'll throw Valle Crucis into the mix, too. We always love the Mast Farm Inn. http://www.themastfarminn.com/

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

We have enjoyed Blowing Rock very much- usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express, which has a good free breakfast...

But my *dream* is to stay in Valle Crucis :)

(maybe one day when we're not spending all our money on college tuition ;)

Be sure to go to Valle Crucis to the Mast General Store (the original and first store) and enjoy a grape nehi on the back porch swing =D

<3 <3 <3 this area!

Enjoy your trip!

honolulu
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

Thanks so much! It's sometimes overwhelming with all the choices.

We're definitely going to the Mast General Store and I'll enjoy a nehi, but maybe not grape - smile! I'm hoping they also have old fashioned candies!

I looked at the Mast Farm Inn site and it looks lovely. Since it's my son and I traveling, we'll probably choose somewhere more like the Holiday Inn Express but it sure was fun looking at rooms at Mast Farm.

I'm also wondering about breakfast/lunch/dinner options. Guess I should do a different post for that!!!!

Thanks, again!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

The Mast General store also has an Annex in Valle Crucis- with TONS of old fashioned candy- you will love it! :)

Candy is on the ground floor and up the stairs you will find old time toys...

Davy Crockett hats, Gumby and Pokey, cap guns, so, so much more...

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,399 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

I like the feel of Blowing Rock. Boone can be busy and crowded. Blowing Rock is smaller and has a mountain charm all its own. Yes, it can be busy to, but you feel that you are somewhere special.

There are many inns in the area, if you want the feel of a B & B. As mentioned, the Holiday Inn Express is there also.

There are so many restaurants in the area. What are you looking for and I will make some suggestions.

www.mastgeneralstore.com

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

6. Re: overnight in boone, banner elk or blowing rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Banner Elk