We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of ski season

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
35 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
End of ski season

We are hoping to ski March 21 &22. When does the season usually end for Sugar Mountain? How is the quality of the skiing at the end of the season? Are all trails open until the end?

What are the odds of Sugar Mountain being open by Thanksgiving?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of ski season

The ski season ends at the end of March. You can never tell about the weather in March. Some years we've had some of our heaviest snows in March, other years we have warm, late springtime like weather. Just cross your fingers and check on conditions before you come up. In rare cases, the ski slopes do have to close down before the end of March , due to no snow. As you can tell from my answers the quality of skiing varies greatly. That can also be said for the middle of the ski season, there are sometimes warm spells and they lose a lot of their base. We had a long warm spell after Christmas and a few ski resorts had to close for a few days. (You just can't make snow or keep it, in 50 degree weather)

Depending on conditions, all or very few of the trails will be open.

As for Thanksgiving, the same goes for the weather. One year when I was in college in nearby Boone, NC. it started snowing in mid-October, and kept on almost the entire winter. I was wishing I was in Florida all winter! Most years however, it just starts getting cold enough to snow in mid November.

Sorry, these aren't great answers. Skiing can be great here in N.C. It's hard to know just what to expect in our mountains. We've finally learned not to make plans to go skiing on any certain date, we just make some time to go up when the conditions are good. (It's only a 2 hour drive for us.) I know that would be tough to do coming from Florida. Maybe you'll get lucky, 2 or 3 years ago they had so much snow in March and conditions were so good that they kept the slopes open into April!

Best Wishes!

Get answers to your questions about Banner Elk