We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

So, I am going to be driving from Durham to Beaufort with a large family (in laws & 4 kids). Does anybody have a couple of suggestions about good places to stop along the way to eat, stretch our legs, etc. We're not looking for anything too time-consuming as we're pretty eager just to get our vacation started. But, I know my family and a couple of well placed stops will make the trip less stressful for everyone.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

A good restaurant to stop and have lunch would be Wilbers Barbecue. Another obligated stop I would suggest New Bern; visit the Tryon palace gardens or shop around downtown. For the children visit the Caw cafe (downtown new Bern). I hope you enjoy your trip.

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

I guess I should have specified thoug that we are going to beaufort SC... It seems that there is also a beaufort NC!

Thanks,

Gillian

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

Yeah. Beaufort NC is a great town and home to the artifacts from Blackbeard's ship the Queen Anne's Revenge. It's a very historic quaint sailing community and well worth a visit. Most people who are asking in the NC forum about Beaufort are going to be asking about Beaufort NC.

However we do know about Beaufort SC near Charleston. I assume youre going down 95? Sorry to report no good stops that I can think of unless you wanna succumb to Pedro's billboards and stop at South of The Border (http://www.thesouthoftgeborder.com) . Ask in the SC forum though and you might get some suggestions. It's not that far from Durham to the SC border (2-2.5 hrs?).

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

Pedro=ugh lol!

The Summerton Diner in Summerton, SC, is great. You could cut over to Charleston on 26 then drive through the lowcountry swamps to Beaufort on Highway 17. The old Sheldon Church ruins near Beaufort are absolutely worth a stop. Take bug spray.

Fort Belvoir...
Level Contributor
171 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

there's New Bern , Havelock , Newport , then Morehead City before you hit Beaufort. New Bern is normally BUSY. But, there's alot of places to eat at. If you stay on hwy 70 you can see some places to eat right off the main road. Havelock is mainly military , Newport doesn't offer too much either. Morehead has several good places to eat at too ( Tsunami , Texas Steakhouse , Ruby Tuesday , Luigi's Pizza ( AMAZING pizza and Luigi is SUPER nice too !) , Panera Bread , Brandy's ( but , it's only open for breakfast and lunch) , Cox , The Captain's Table , Beach Bumz , The Sanitary Rest. and good shopping all in a close central area. Beaufort is beautiful, There are lots of little shops and restaruants too. The Fudge Factory is on the waterfront. But, The General Store has better fudge.

Have fun !

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

Sandra, did you see the OPs update? They're going to Beaufort SC.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

OP, you know you posted in the Beaufort NC forum. That's why we all thought you were going to Beaufort, NC and not Beaufort SC.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 03:57
Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

No, I didn't realize it.... But it is my first time on any message boards... Sad, I know :-)

Anyway, like I said, Adams was good, even if it was a little out of the way.

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

Panchopup- just wanted to say thank you. You're very helpful! Thanks for not pointing out how dopey aim :-)

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling from Durham to Beaufort

Shanklemsw: thanks for the suggestion. We may try those on our way back up!

Get answers to your questions about Beaufort
Recent Conversations