We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

Which Blowing Rock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

I live in Kingsport, TN.

My son is wanting to go see Thomas the Train.

I know he will be at the Train Museum in Chattanooga at the end of April. Tix for that are around 18 dollars.

We have never been to Tweetsie RR, but Thomas will be there in June, so we are considering this as well. Tix will be more expensive at Tweetsie, but there is more to do @ Tweetsie.

I think Tweetsie is also the closer to us. Chattanooga is about 3hrs away.

So what would you do if you had a 3 and 8 year old ? Go to Tweetsie or go to the Train Museum in Chattanooga ? Are there plenty of rides for my 3 yo at Tweetsie ?

What is a good nearby hotel ?

THANKS !

Melissa

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

I have not taken my 3-8 yr old grandchildren to Chatanooga but have to Tweetsie and they thoroughly enjoyed it.I also enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

We are in both places and have grandchildren 3 to 8 years old.

The answer to this question would depend on the length of your stay.

Our NC 3 1/3 year grandson, will most likely go to Tweetsie this summer for the first time.We felt like several of the rides were to too old for him. Have taken the older boys. There are nice rides for all ages. Have been to Thomas here in Tn. and BR. It is fun. Is your 3 year old very familiar with Thomas? There is also the Tweetsie Railroad. This ride is well done, but there "outlaws" that attack the train. This is all done with children in mind, but just beware. When that is over, there is a great park in downtown Blowing Rock that they could go play in.

Chattanooga, with its 3 hour easy drive, is a a family destination . The Tennessee Aquarium, the largest freshwater aquarium in the world, is amazing. Our grandchildren cannot wait to get there when they are here. There is the Children's Discovery Museum, Zoo, and the beautiful Antique Carousel in Coolidge Park, with colorful hand-carved animals to ride. This park is along the beautiful Tennessee River. There is so much for children of all ages.

There are many hotels in the downtown area. You can walk to all these attractions. Family dining also in this same area.

Will be happy to compare anything for you.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

Any suggestions for a hotel near Tweetsie ? I looked at some cabins online but we can't afford 250 per night!

We've been to Ripley's Aquarium in the Smokies, and I've been to Chattanooga Aquarium but we haven't taken the kids yet.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

There are a number of older style motels in the village of Blowing Rock. The Azalea Inn and Hidden Inn are but two of at least a dozen. These are generally fairly simple but clean and within walking distance of the park and downtown shops. I think you could google them up or line up something through the Blowing Rock Visitor's Center.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

If you go to BR, the Azalea Inn is so nice and on the edge of town. That would be my first choice. If you want to stay in Boone, There is a Holiday Inn Express. Also, a Hampton Inn. Both of these are maintained well.

Tweetsie is about 12 way between the 2 towns.

Chetola Lodge, in BR, also offers room rentals.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

I looked at the Azalea Inn online. Is it child friendly ? It seemed to be more for couples or honeymooners.

Thanks for all your help, y'all have helped a ton. I think we will do Tweetsie for Thomas, then maybe later on do Chattanooga for the aquarium.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

If you want to stay in Blowing Rock. please check with the Chetola Inn and Resort. You can walk into town and offers overnight facilities.

It has an indoor pool and play room for children. I think I already mentioned the Hampton and Hoilday Express Inn in Boone.

8. Re: Day out with Thomas @ Tweetsie...help me make up my mind :oP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 14:45
Get answers to your questions about Blowing Rock