We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Florida

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Florida

Planning a trip to Blowing Rock for a weeks stay Oct. 29th - Nov 6th.

Booked a B&B in Savannah to break up the trip on the front and back end of the trip.

The original purpose of the vacation was for me to experience the changing of the leaves, but after booking (we ARE committed to that week), I read on TA where fall happens about two weeks prior to our arrival.

Hubby and I will enjoy our trip, none the less....

My question is this: we are able to tack on a day or two before and after that week. That said, where do you think might be a good place for us to go, considering we will be driving from the east coast of Florida.

I was looking at Ashville. Would not want to drive any further north than Blowing Rock.

If we started out in Savannah, is Ashville (or another place) somewhere that might be of interest that time of the year?

I noticed where the #1 B&B, Gideon Ridge, was in Blowing Rock. End of October, would I do better to be further south? Or is that not going to matter with fall color change?

I hope this makes sense....

Thank you for any help/suggestions/tips.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Florida

First, the date the leaves change is a moving target depending on many variables. If you followed the guides to try and figure out the best time you still could be off. If not at its peak, they will still be pretty and that part of the world is one of my favs.

If you wanted to add a day or two on the way, drive up from Savannah through Greenville, SC and visit its downtown. Its been many years since I have been there but they have done much with parks and museums, etc.... From there Asheville is a short trip and there is Biltmore and the Asheville food scene, not to mention just the beauty of the area. If you have time from Asheville you could drive up to Blowing Rock via the Blue Ridge Parkway, again a fav of mine.

I've stayed at Gideon Ridge. Fine B&B. If you want a just good old, good old breakfast one morring there is a little place in Blowing Rock called Knight's on Main which we also love and eat there whenever we can. Not fancy but good!!

Would you be better off further south? I'm not sure where that would be and if it would make a difference. And I love Blowing Rock so much I'll say stay there!! Hope you have a blast.

Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Florida

The southern mountains and Piedmont should still have excellent color at that time. That is usually peak color of the foothills. The farther south you go from Boone, the more color you will see.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Florida

Beast <- funny...

yea, that all sounds really good. Thanks so much for taking your time to post!!

Bud - as soon as I finished posting I realized the obvious,...the further south (lower elevation) the better chances I might have in catching some fall colors. Just logical.

I was going by last years posts on the same subject, but like you guys have said, the 'peak' is a moving target from year to year.

I will plan for a few days on the front end of the trip instead of the rear end since I know what I am looking seeking.

And if not this year, then another....

Really excited about this type of trip. Very different for me, but certainly on my bucket list!!

Cheers and thanks so much!!

Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Florida

Asheville and Blowing Rock are great choices. Fall foliage colors are several weeks before you will be there.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Florida

I am from south of Blowing Rock and ASU graduate--so very familiar with the area. I also go to Blowing Rock about every 2 months. I always stay at the Gideon Ridge Inn --a B & B--love it! I would absolutely say Blowing Rock, leaves in higher elevation of Asheville will probably be all gone----leaves hang on in the Blowing Rock area a little longer. Grandfather Mtn and Linville Falls are top natural scenic attractions that I wouldn't miss.

The GIdeon RIdge Inn is very quaint, clean, very romantic as well. Only 10 rooms -a nice breakfast is included in the rate as well as afternoon tea service/scones. The rooms are all different from each other. You can see them on the website. Many people stay here on their anniversary, birthdays etc and the service is top notch. If you call to stay there, pls tell Cindy Milner-owner or Donna-innkeeper that L Lawler of Raleigh referred you--they will take great care of you! Let me know if you have any questions, etc.

6. Re: Traveling from Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 05:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor