We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Summer Vacation

Which Blowing Rock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Summer Vacation

So happy to find this forum. I was posting in the NC forum until I found this one. I have an 8 and 13 year old boys and plan on staying in BR and possibly Asheville. Leaning towards Chetola in BR. Tryng to if it's worth spending time in Asheville. We are staying for a week at the beginning if July. Could we fill up a week with day trips from BR? Also, any suggestions for meals in BR and around the area? Thanks everyone!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Summer Vacation

Chetola is a great choice - plenty to do right at the resort. But, yes - you can fill your week up easily. Take those kids to Tweetsie Railroad - good old fashioned amusement park that all of us who grew up in western NC have fond memories of!

Also- make sure one of your meals is at Daniel Boone Inn in Boone - Delicious!

Edited: 10 May 2011, 14:31
Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Summer Vacation

FloridaGuy, many of the same people post on both the individual city forums and the NC forum. You got plenty of great answers on the NC forum, but it seems you're never satisfied because you keep asking the same questions over and over and now you're asking the same ones here. I suppose you're worried about having the perfect vacation, and that's understandable. I'd suggest not worrying so much--you'll have a great time no matter where you end up, and much of the fun is just getting out there and exploring with no particular plan.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Summer Vacation

arbyunc is correct. Trip Advisor is a great service and after you have used it more, you will understand how it works.

Gather your information, make your reservatios and you will have a great vacation. I would not wait too long. The mountains can be busy in the summer.

Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Summer Vacation

Thanks for your input! Restaurant suggestions in and around BR area...?

Overland Park
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Summer Vacation

I second the Daniel Boone Inn. We ate there our first night in town. Also Kilwin's for ice cream and treats, located in Blowing Rock across from the park. I think we stopped in there every day!

Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Summer Vacation

Great ideas! Any other recommendations for breakfast/lunch/dinner? Also will visit Grandfather mountain, linville, boone, and brp. Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Summer Vacation

In Blowing Rock my 30 year+ favorite restaurant is Woodlands Barbeque! It's very casual and most nights you'll find live Bluegrass (mountain) music playing. The BBQ and fixin's are always yummy (western NC style) ; they also serve great Mexican food. Great atmosphere and food for the entire family.

For more upscale type food, in a bit more dressy casual establishment, my choice is Bistro Roca.

Nearby Boone also has 3 of my long-time casual dining favorites (I was an ASU college student in the early 1980's)....of course, Daniel Boone Inn; also Red Onion Cafe and Pepper's Restaurant. If you get to Pepper's, you must try a Jean Lawson sandwich!!!! After 30+ years, I still dream of Jean Lawsons!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Summer Vacation

In Boone, we like Joe's Italian Kitchen, great, not fancy, Italian food from a guy named Joe. Check out the bathrooms if you go. We also like Hob Knob Cafe. They specialize in local ingredients. Very yummy.

Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Summer Vacation

Thanks everyone. Any good restaurants with a good view?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Summer Vacation

Inn at Crestwood has limited views, but cannot rate the food.

Canyons, outside has a great view, but the food is not good and inside is dark! Someone could fix it up and have a gold mine.

Get answers to your questions about Blowing Rock