We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stoller friendly (or accessible) walks/hikes in the BR area

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Stoller friendly (or accessible) walks/hikes in the BR area

At the end of the month we are planning a long weekend in Blowing Rock with our 15 month old daughter.

When it was just the two of us my husband and I stopped in Blowing Rock for a few hours and are looking forward to going back for a longer stay.

We want to do some easy/moderate walks and are wondering if there are any that might be good with a durable stroller (our daughter is walking, but can't necessarily expect too much from a toddler). Would Moses Cone be good (from what I read they are wide carriage trails). Other suggestions? If there are trails that are classified as wheelchair accessible those would probably fit the bill too.

Any other kid friendly suggestions are more then welcome too!

Thanks!!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,941 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stoller friendly (or accessible) walks/hikes in the BR area

Bass Lake is mostly flat and would work well. Much of the area around Moses Cone would also work. Depending on the weather, there is a children's playground in the middle of Blowing Rock. The downtown Blowing Rock, as the downtown of Boone, would be OK for a stroller.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stoller friendly (or accessible) walks/hikes in the BR area

I agree that Bass Lake would be fine. It's easy and a flat stroll around the lake. Julian Price Park might be good, too. I think some of the Moses Cone trails would work. Do you have a jogging type stroller? I think there would be some around Moses Cone that would work for that kind of stroller, but not for a cheap umbrella stroller.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
127 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stoller friendly (or accessible) walks/hikes in the BR area

I'm glad you've been there before and know what toexpect, because based on our experience this week, Blowing Rock is not a very child-friendly or stroller-friendly place. We could not even get the stroller into most stores and the restaurant we ate at (chosen by friends we were traveling with) didn't even allow strollers as indicated by a sign on the door!

I can't comment on the area trails, but ours friends went to Tweetsie with their toddlers and really enjoyed it.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stoller friendly (or accessible) walks/hikes in the BR area

wndrwmm

I am sorry you did not have all positive experiences in Blowing Rock. I do have to differ with you that our area is very family oriented and child friendly. Most of the shops along Main Street are small and there is not alot of room for strollers.They are small town shops, not department stores.

I do not know where you ate dinner. I cannot recall ever seeing that particular sign. I am sure there is a good reason for it. I know we take our grandchildren out alot in the area, and have never had any problems.

We do hope that you will return in the future. It is a beautiful area.

5. Re: Stoller friendly (or accessible) walks/hikes in the BR area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 06:16