We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IMHO, Blowing Rock not very kid-friendly...

South Carolina
Level Contributor
127 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
IMHO, Blowing Rock not very kid-friendly...

I know I will probably get some grief, but based on my recent experience, Blowing Rock is not a very kid-friendly place in my opinion. It is a lovely town with many great stores and restaurants....for those 21+. We were traveling with friends and our 6 yr old and 3 mo old. We could not even get our stroller into most of the stores and those that we could we so crowded, we were not able to maneuver it around. My 6 yr old really enjoyed looking in some of the shops, but most were high-end and I was afreaid to take her in there. Additionally, the restaurant we ate at (I realize this may have been an isolated case) had only 1 high chair and stated on the door that strollers were not allowed.

Again, it's a nice town, but don't expect to spend a lot of time in town if you have kids.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IMHO, Blowing Rock not very kid-friendly...

There are plenty of kid-friendly activities in Blowing Rock and surrounding areas, but shopping at high-end shops are not one of those activities. The park in the middle of town in Blowing Rock is a great place for kids/families; the ice cream shop and the Mast General Store in BR are fine for kids, too. Outside of Blowing Rock, Tweetsie Railroad and Grandfather Mountain are both very kid-friendly and perfect places for families with young children to spend their time in the area. Areas on the BRP near Blowing Rock such as Price Lake are also very kid-friendly. Easy to find even more family-friendly activities in the northern NC mountains with just a little research.

There are a number of restaurants in the Blowing Rock, Boone, and Banner Elk area that are not appropriate for families with young children, but also plenty that are.

Everyone should take time to research their vacations and find appropriate activities for the age/ages of their family members. Children, as well as people trying to enjoy their kid-free vacations, will all greatly appreciate it!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: IMHO, Blowing Rock not very kid-friendly...

I tend to agree with you- and Mickey. I do think they cater to an adult clientele.... and target middle aged and up. There's nothing wrong with that...it's a business decision ( and frankly appeals to empty nesters). But I also think it's OK for you to point that out. Families with small children may wish to consider it when deciding on a vacation location. Certainly a valid assessment. Having said that, there are lots of family attractions and activities in the area - Tweetsie, mini-golf, outdoor fun, etc...

Edited: 24 October 2011, 13:09
3. Re: IMHO, Blowing Rock not very kid-friendly...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:17