We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May/June Road Trip Georgia to New England

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
May/June Road Trip Georgia to New England

I have posted my complete 35 day trip report on the Road Trips forum for anyone interested in reading my complete "volume".

DAY 7 & 8 - May 11-12 – ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA - HOLIDAY INN BILTMORE EAST

From Charleston we drove to Asheville, our jump off point for the Blue Ridge Parkway. The highlights were galleries and food for which it is known. Grove Arcade is a beautiful restored historic building worth a visit for its architecture. I bought a lipstick at Make Up at the Grove Arcade, from a gorgeous young man who said people told him he had “Jack Nicholson eyebrows”. We had dinner at The Admiral, Curate and lunch at Corner Kitchen. All were superb! Reviews on tripadvisor.

We drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway in the teaming rain and admired the high hedges of pink and red rhododendron. Because of the mild Winter, Spring came early to the mountains. In the afternoon the weather provided an excuse to visit the Tanger Factory Outlets at Blowing Rock. We had lunch at Six Pence Pub in Blowing Rock. It was a challenge to get from the car to the pub with the heavens dispensing a torrential downpour. In spite of the weather we fell in love with Blowing Rock, a trendy upmarket mountain town and returned for dinner at Storie Street Grille where we had a fantastic meal and an enjoyable evening.

DAY 9 & 10 - May 13,14 – BOONE, NORTH CAROLINA – HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS.

When there was a break in the weather we ventured up to Grandfather Mountain but as we gained altitude the cloud closed in and obscured the view. We walked across the suspension bridge but there was no point in continuing. The drive to the Gamekeeper Restaurant on the winding mountain road was a lovely interlude despite the rain. The day we left Boone the weather had lifted and we were able to enjoy more of the Blueridge Parkway. We drove from Boone to STAUNTON, Virginia and eventually had to abandon the Blue Ridge Parkway for the sake of time. We stopped for lunch in the town of Buchanan, Virginia and had lunch at the 1950’s style Buchanan Grille.

NEXT STOP STAUNTON, VA

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
111 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May/June Road Trip Georgia to New England

Great TR for one of my favorite places. I can't wait to read through your full trip review. Imagine you had the time of your life and hopefully many memories to have forever!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May/June Road Trip Georgia to New England

Despite the weather, after all it was Spring, we had a wonderful trip. Americans were so welcoming, in a lot of ways we felt as if we were in our own country.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May/June Road Trip Georgia to New England

Thanks for a great TR. You did an outstanding job writing your report. Thanks again. Good luck and come back again soon.

4. Re: May/June Road Trip Georgia to New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:18