We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

Amelia Island
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

Staying in BR and was looking for lunch restaurant suggestions, moderate hikes, public golf course conditions, etc. We are doing Sky Valley Zip Tours. Haven't been to BR/Boone if 10 years, and some of the TA posts from last summer time have been closed due to being a year old. Thanks for any suggestions! We are active 50 year olds with a couple of twenty somethings in tow.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

If you have not been here in 10 years, many things will have changed. The Boone Golf Coarse has been well maintained. There is Bistro Roca, Storie Street and the new Public House. Maybe when you get here, the new Mellow Mushroom will be open. Village Cafe is excellent. In Boone, Stick Boy Bakery has opened a cafe that offers delicious sandwiches and salads in Boone along with the Come Back Shack.

I hope the following websites will help you.

http://www.ourstate.com/app

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

www.hikebeechmountain.com

www.highcountryhiking.com

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

For golf, Boone GC is excellent. Other options within 45 minutes are Nountain Glen in Newland and Redtail in Tennessee. All three are great fun and the rides fairly interesting. Hiking opportunities of all levels abound the most readily accessible are those out of Cone Manor, but the best are further down the Blue Ridge Parkway.. I would recommend taking the BRP south and finding time to visit Linville Gorge and Grandfather Mountain. My favorite restaurants in Blowing Rock are Bistro Roca, Storie Street Grill and Twigs, but there are several more, and several poised to open in the next couple of weeks,

In Boone, I like Vidalia and Joy Bistro.

I think a trip to Valle Crucis and the Mast General Store would be in order. For special dining there, you might want to look in to the Inn at Little Pond.

Finally, Friday concerts on the lawn at the Ragged Garden Inn. Are great and their restaurant, the Best Cellar, is also excellent.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

About 90 minute drive is Roan Mountain Gardens. Do a google on it. It is beautiful in mid-June. The drive getting there is pretty too. I would do it if I was you.

Amelia Island
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

Wow, thanks so much for the fast response! Love all the ideas and will start planning....thank you!

Amelia Island
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

I forgot to ask about nearest grocery store that would have good meats (for grilling out) and basic staple items.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

Blowing Rock only has a Food Lion, which we use frequently for that purpose. There is a very nice Harris Teeter in Boone, which has better offerings. There is also an Earthfare, there, which I have not tried but plan to. I am curious as to what others have to say

Amelia Island
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

Okay, just making sure that is where most people go. We have a Teeter where we live now, so I am very

familiar with that store. Thanks.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

In Boone, Ingles is fine, too. That's where we usually go because it's closest to our house. I've been to Earthfare and find the prices high, but it's good for specialty items — might be worth it if you want a special cut of meat. I have occasionally been to the HT, but it's not as close to us. I believe there is a Lowe's Foods in Boone, too. And there's a Walmart, too.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

For meats, I either go to the custom cut department of Harris Teeter or Earth Fare. We will go to Winston Salem or Charlotte and shop Costco and bring up in a cooler. Since we go back and forth from Chattanooga to Blowing Rock. we are never without an ice chest.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything new or need to do during mid-Jume vacation?

Forgot, also a nice Lowe's Food down the road from Earth Fare and a super Walmart for staples.