We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Day Activities in the Area?

Which Blowing Rock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy Day Activities in the Area?

We've never been to this area and are arriving on Saturday, 23 August. I just checked the weather forecasts and it will, sadly, be WET.

What do Forum readers suggest we do other than laze and read (which we do intend to do, but not for a week!)?

Thanks in advance.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
13,510 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Day Activities in the Area?

Greetings!

You are less than 15 min. from Boone, try this website.

www.exploreboonearea.com/

I hope this info helps.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Day Activities in the Area?

There are many things you could do.

First off, it's way too early to predict what the weather will be like next weekend and certainly not for all of next week. Afternoon thunderstorms are common throughout the Southeast and definitely in the mountains. It probably won't be wet the whole time. And often if it's raining on one side of the mountain it may be sunny on the other side, so don't hesitate to get out and drive around.

If it's just misty a hike to a waterfall can still be fun. You don't get great long range views in misty/drizzly weather, but if you're right at the waterfall you don't need a long range view.

If it's raining pretty steadily all over, you could opt for some indoor activities. There are some covered gem mines and caving is indoors. There are outfitters that will take you spelunking and exploring down and dirty, or you could opt for a more sedate caving experience at Linville Caverns.

Plenty of shopping to be done, too, and lots of great restaurants. App State may have some activities/concerts, etc.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Day Activities in the Area?

A popular Boone, NC saying that I remember from my Appalachian State University college days 30 years ago, and more recently have heard my daughter, a current ASU student say, " if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change" Most often very true. Also, like mentioned above, sunny on one side, rainy on the other.. my college friends and I used to say,.. "if you don't like the weather in Boone, get in the car and drive a bit." :) It really can be cold and rainy in Blowing Rock, and sunny in Boone, or Linville, vice versa, etc. Two summers ago, we spent a week in Blowing Rock with our kids, one morning we woke up to cool, heavy mist and fog, it didn't seem to be moving away, I checked my weather app radar and saw that it was very localized, so we got in the car and drove to one of our favorite waterfalls on the other side of Boone, we enjoyed a nice, warm, sunny day, playing in the falls, then drove back to our condo in Blowing Rock that afternoon, and it had stayed misty, foggy, cool, all day. That sort of thing really does happen a lot in the mountains.

So please don't worry about the weather, as said above it's too early to know, and most often if rain, it's mostly an afternoon shower. Lots to do in the rain, good ones mentioned above. Here's a few other things that come to mind... quirky long-time attraction near Blowing Rock, Mystery Hill, http://www.mysteryhill-nc.com/ also museums, and a gem mine. Outlet Mall at Blowing Rock, http://www.tangeroutlet.com/blowingrock/ My kids and I enjoy thrift store shopping, lots in the area.. www.thethriftshopper.com/city/Boone/NC/1.htm Not to be missed original Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, www.vallecrucis.com/things-to-do/shopping/ Linville Caverns, as Panchopup mentioned has been a favorite rainy day activity of our family since our girls were very little, http://www.linvillecaverns.com/home.html They always thought it was neat that it would also "rain" in the caverns....really not much, but a few "rain" drops.. Enjoy!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
13,510 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Day Activities in the Area?

Greetings UNCMickey,

Same saying for Ireland. With the exception of Gale force winds, fog & icy bits, I am out & about trekking in Ireland.

Kind Regards,

Keshgrammy

5. Re: Rainy Day Activities in the Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Blowing Rock