We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Boone to go to Nascar in Bristol

Mesquite
Level Contributor
622 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Boone to go to Nascar in Bristol

DH and I are arguing over where to stay for the March Nascar race in Bristol. He has booked the Hampton Inn in Boone. Would this be a good town to stay in for the Nascar race in Bristol? I'm worried about road conditions also.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
Tennessee
Boone
Boone
North Carolina Mountains, NC
New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying in Boone to go to Nascar in Bristol

I second staying in Abingdon, its a nice place to stay and an easy drive to the track. We've also stayed in the Fort Chiswell/Wytheville area in VA, cute area too. Its right around an hour drive to the track, mostly interstate driving. If you stay in VA, watch your speed!

Bristol is one of my favorite places to see a race!

Mentioned in this post
Wytheville
Wytheville
Virginia
Bristol
Bristol
Tennessee
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying in Boone to go to Nascar in Bristol

Trust me, you do not want to stay in Boone unless absolutely necessary! We did the drive one year in March and it was horrendous! The roads are very hazardous - its a beautiful drive in the day, but at night its kinda scary! I'd suggest Wytheville or Bluefield, VA or maybe towards Pigeon Forge instead!

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
Wytheville
Wytheville
Virginia
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Johnson City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Staying in Boone to go to Nascar in Bristol

I live in Johnson City and staying in Boone is not a good idea. It's a long drive and very mountainous road. Snow could be a problem too. Asheville would be a better choice although snow can be a problem there too because you have to go over the mountain but the road is good I26. Good luck and have fun at the race ! Rethink the Boone choice.

Mentioned in this post
Johnson City
Johnson City
Tennessee
Boone
Boone
Asheville
Asheville
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Staying in Boone to go to Nascar in Bristol

If you don't have to stay to the east of Bristol try hotels in Knoxville,TN. Thats where we're staying for the race in August and the prices are suprisingly cheap for it being a Nascar weekend. Most hotels that I've researched there don't require a minimum nights stay. You can always stay there for the races and then drive closer to Charlotte for a few days so you can tour garages and stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
Tennessee
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Staying in Boone to go to Nascar in Bristol

There is nothing wrong with staying in Boone for the race. Lots of folks do. It's only an hour away. If you need directions, let me know. I have done it many times. I have stayed in Bristol and Johnson City and the rooms are not worth what they price them. They try to take advantage of the average race fan. Last time I stayed in Johnson City, the rate went up to $300 a night and you have to stay 3 nights.

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
Bristol
Bristol
Tennessee
Johnson City
Johnson City
Tennessee