We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

Which Boone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

Hello:

Planning to stay in Boone area for a few months.I'd like to

know: Is it safe to hike alone in the area,or are there any hikers assoc to contact while in there? Many thanks for your input! DV.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

Hiking alone always involves some risk anywhere. But, people do it. Choose some trails that may be frequented by people - less remote. Perhaps some trails accessible by cell phone.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 11:20
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

Chargers & Rechargers Hiking Club - North Carolina Mountains

The Chargers & Rechargers Hiking Club is an informal loose-knit group of hiking enthusiasts in the High Country.

www.boonenc.org/hiking -

Here is a great group you can contact.!

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

I hiked alone for 10 days up there last fall and felt safe. Just be smart, stick to well traveled trails off the BRP, the AT or in Grandfather, and be aware of your surroundings. It is a beautiful area and solo hiking can be very good for the soul!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

I think it is a safe area. You will most likely pass others along the way and you should always let someone know where you are. If you were to encounter a problem someone would know what direction you headed in.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

I don't think it's any more dangerous to hike alone in the high country area than it is anywhere. Most people are friendly and eager to help. You get a few bad ones everywhere, though. I think the club mentioned above is a good one.

6. Re: Is it safe to hike alone..........in Boone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 08:21