We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

Which Boone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north carolina
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

We are visiting Boone/Blowing Rock this weekend and would like to check out the historic Daniel Boone Inn restaurant (I love doing traditional stuff like that!), but problem is, we are vegetarians. I checked out their menu, and it does look a bit meat heavy, but that's okay, we make meals out of side veggies all the time (and biscuits!).

Has anyone been here that could tell me if you think we would be satisfied as vegetarians eating here (understanding fully that there is no specific vegetarian-fare available). Or should we try something else in town?

Thanks so much!!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

I'd say do the safe thing and call them. They do have plenty of vegetable offerings, but as you probably know in the South we often use meat to season vegetables...green beans with fatback, collards cooked in bacon drippings, etc. Not good to assume if you're vegetarian!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

I would say don't waste the money it would cost if you can't enjoy the meat dishes ( they will charge you the same whether you eat it or not). .... and I agree I bet they season a lot of the veggie dishes with fat back - seems like it was when I ate there.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

You might try the Hob Knob in downtown Boone on King St. They have tons of vegetarian and vegan dishes. It's not as traditional as the Daniel Boone Inn, but it's great local food.

For traditional you might go up on Saturday to the Boone Farmer's Mkt and check out the reconstructed log cabins, etc, down by the theater where they stage "Horn in the West" in the summer. You can sometimes see re-enactors and go in the cabins, etc. It's all free. Well, unless you buy a bushel of apples — you've got to pay for that.

Also for traditional you should check out the Mast General Store in Valle Crucis (not the one in Boone, although that's nice, too, but not old). The Mast General Store is something like 100+ yrs old with creaky wood floors and a pot-bellied stove that often has blue-grass or gospel musicians jamming around it. The store is huge, packed full of people, and tons of souvenirs, but it does still have mailboxes for the community as well as a good supply of general store items.

hth

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

Hob Nob Farm Cafe

http://www.hobnobfarmcafe.com/

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

I totally agree with the Hob Nob Cafe. You will get what you order--- the way you want it. The Daniel Boone Inn is not that! Other options would be Storie Street In Blowing Rock and Bistro Roca in Blowing Rock.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

Too late for the originator, but we were shocked to discover:

1) They do not take credit cards at the Daniel Boone Inn restaurant

2) The did have an ATM machine, but it was BROKEN last August, anyway

No credit cards? unheard of for a place that wants tourists.

SafariInfo

http://www.woodsmall.com/

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

That is a surprise. Another reason not to go with money in your pocket.

8. Re: Daniel Boone Inn restaurant okay for vegetarians?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 06:16