We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boone area leaves 10/15-18

TN
Level Contributor
124 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Boone area leaves 10/15-18

So I have read the fall foliage reports and looked at the maps. I am wondering if we will be too late coming the 15th to see some great leaves. Because of all the elevations it makes it harder to know what exactly is going on even after looking at the map. We have the ability to either go to Boone or Franklin, NC on those dates. Would Franklin be a better bet leaf wise? No one replies on the Franklin board so I thought I would see what you all think as I know some of you are in the Boone area currently. Thanks for any and all info!

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Franklin
Franklin
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

I think Franklin would be a better place than Boone. Boone tends to turn about a week before the Franklin area.

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Boone
Boone
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

Our leaves at higher elevations are just about peak. After this cold snap, they will have peaked.(4,000 ft). I would go a lower elevation, 2,000 to 3,000 feet.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

I'm going to dissent and say Boone. I think mid-October is usually perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

I think it kind of depends on what your personal preference is, though. Do you like to see the mountain tops in color and a little bit of green further down in the valleys? Or do you like to see all color and no green except evergreens and a few bare trees might be okay?

Everything I've read and heard from Queeni and others says they're a little bit early this year, but I do love the Boone area so I would go there and know that I would be happy on the 15th, too. But if you might feel like you're too late if you see a few bare limbs or brown leaves and that would bum you out too much then go to Franklin.

Grandfather Mountain (highest elevation around Boone) has current pictures on their facebook page. www.facebook.com/GrandfatherMtn?fref=ts

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Grandfather Mountain
Grandfather Mountain
1,808 Reviews
Linville, NC
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

The word I got is that this coming weekend is it, at last in Blowing Rock ( which is a little higher ) This past weekend it was really looking nice but not quite...

Mentioned in this post
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

If the fog would lift and sunshine appear, we could give you an update. Tomorrow will bring much improvement.

I will post again.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

Looking for sunshine tomorrow! :) I'll be back in Boone tomorrow and am planning to drive the BRP from Blowing Rock to at least as far as Little Switzerland. I'll try to give a report tomorrow also.

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

Come on up and join us. We are ready to enjoy all the fall colors!

TN
Level Contributor
124 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

Thanks for keeping me updated! I need to cancel one of the rooms by Saturday. It's a nail biter! :) Hope you all get some sunshine too. East TN has been super dreary the past few days, but supposedly today will be better. Must be later today though...

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boone area leaves 10/15-18

The sun is out. Partly cloudy. Yeah!!!

We are located between Boone and Blowing Rock at 4,000 ft. We have a little bit of everything. Green leaves turning yellow, yellow turning brown, many leaves on the ground and at this altitude, some red, but much less.

The next few days should bring better weather and there is no doubt you should come to the mountains. Wherever you go, you will have different degrees of fall foliage.

Heading into Boone later. Will write again later today.

www.ray'sweather.com

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock