We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip with my husband!!

Which Boone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Weekend trip with my husband!!

I am trying to plan a surprise trip for my husband next weekend. Oct. 25-27. We are in our late 20's and love to try new things. I am looking for people's ideas of their "must do's" since we will only be there for 2 days. We enjoy hiking and anything outdoors..not sure how far grandfathers mountain is from there exactly but didn't know if there were any other hidden places we might enjoy better..also need places to enjoy our evening..nothing fancy,. And also possible places to stay..would you recommend a hotel or cabin., we are newlyweds so I am trying to make this special, I appreciate all your help

Stacy

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

Not sure if available & within your budget, but this one is very romantic!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48975-d80391-R…

I also like Galileo for great food & it is not far...

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g48975-d17…

Edited: 19 October 2013, 00:44
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

This one has a good review - no personal experience, but read the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48975-d647386-…

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

If you are looking at the Boone/Blowing Rock area, you should move quickly. Leaf season and much is full and busy.

I do suggest the quaintness of Blowing Rock. Check the Azalea Garden Inn or Chetola Resort. If you can find availability, please write back and I am happy to recommend additional information, based on where you will be.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

Yeah, you should make reservations right now. It's a tough time of year to find something w/o advance reservations.

Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

Thanks guys..do you think the leaves will still be nice next weekend or will I be too late :(

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

Since there is a chill in the air, the leaves may speed up their color change. I think you might find some color in lower elevations or a patch here and there. Enjoy what you can! It is beautiful!!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

I'm in Boone right now and I'd say its pretty close to peak now. I think there will still be some next weekend although you may need to go to lower elevations to find more. Asheville might be a good choice since it's at a little lower elevation than Boone and Blowing Rock.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

If the weather is nice, pack a picnic lunch in a backpack and hike to Hebron Colony falls by way of BooneFork trail off the BRP at Julian Price Memorial Park near Blowing Rock blueridgencguide.com/2012/… There are nice flat rocks there near or out over the water, a nice place for a romantic type picnic. There's also lists of other neat area hikes on the side of that page.

Also weather-permitting, renting a canoe at Price Lake is fun and a bit romantic, too. http://pricelakeboatrentals.wix.com/blueridgeparkway#! BTW the website says through Sept. 30, but I know they rent on weekends through the end of October. Call the number to check out.

Valle Crucis is a beautiful little community near Boone, Grandfather Mt. etc. there are several nice B&B's out there...maybe some availability left. Don't forget to visit the original Mast General Store while there.. vallecrucis.com/sites-to-see/… ...you'll also find links to the B&B's and other accommodations on that website.

As for not fancy eats/entertainment at night, one of my favorite places is Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock, very rustic, completely casual, great BBQ and live music(generally Bluegrass) upstairs nightly. My husband and I love it so much we've eaten there on several of our anniversaries! :) Boone, being a college town has a good number of bar/restaurants with live music on weekends. ASU has a home game on Saturday, Oct 26, so there will be a crowd in town, but that also means there will be an older, alumni type crowd in these places... urbanspoon.com/tn/…Boone-restaurants

If you are in Blowing Rock before sunset and want good drinks and a gorgeous mountain/sunset view http://www.canyonsbr.com/ They also do a very popular Sunday Jazz brunch.

Lots of good info on this website.. exploreboonearea.com/Home/…Default.aspx

Have fun! :)

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

One more suggestion, Bistro Roca in Blowing Rock is a great choice for a warm, rustic, casual setting with a bit more upscale menu. To me prices are very reasonable for the type food you get. They take reservations, and you'll need them. http://bistroroca.com/

Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend trip with my husband!!

I appreciate everyone's help..would you pick the Hebron colony falls, grandfather mountain or Moses cone park.