We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport for Boone??

Which Boone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Best airport for Boone??

I read differing opinions. I will be flying into NC to go to Boone, and can fly into any of the airports. In some places it says that the Tri City airport in TN is only 44 miles away. Someone in Boone assured met hat Greensboro was the closest in terms of how long it takes to drive there, and the roads are best from Greensboro. She said it takes 2 hours from Greensboro, and 2 1/2 from Charlotte. I have driven to Boone from Asheville, so I know how that drive is--mountain-y, and over 2 hours.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airport for Boone??

Have you looked at itineraries yet? Most likely your flights will connect in Charlotte either way. When I was going to school at ASU we took our friend to Hickory to fly back home so I don't know if that is an option or not.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airport for Boone??

Hi, I just replied on your other post. I think your best bet is to drive from CLT. My house is not that far from the airport (15-20 minutes west) and it only takes us about an hour and a half to get to Boone.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airport for Boone??

I agree, Charlotte is your best bet. The CLT airport is near Gastonia, NC, and Boone is a straight shot up Hwy 321 from Gastonia. Hwy 321 is a well maintained multi-lane highway, with the exception of a small piece now being widened in Blowing Rock, NC. CLT to Boone is a very easy drive, it never takes me much more than one and a half hour to drive.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airport for Boone??

Driving times from the Greensboro and Charlotte airports to Boone are virtually the same. Go with whichever offers the best flight times and price for you. You might also consider the fact that Greensboro is a much smaller airport, so it's much quicker to get in and out.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airport for Boone??

Thanks all.

And again, differing opinions. LOL. I guess that means its likely a toss-up.

The itinerary and price from Clearwater to Greensboro is good, so I made that reservation. Now I just have to hope that Allegiant flies anywhere near on time....or at all.....

Thanks again!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,010 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airport for Boone??

Greensboro is fine. It's an easy drive up 421 to Boone.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airport for Boone??

The Charlotte airport is in a great location to head straight to the mountains. 1 hour and 45 min. This depends on traffic, if it is not during rush hour. The Tri- City Airport is about 90 minutes. It is mostly 2 lane roads and time depends there on traffic also.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airport for Boone??

I am laughing at myself. If you guys only knew…I am the queen of second guessing, and obsessive researching. I made the reservations, in and out of GSO (greensboro), and I am quite content.

Well, sort of. Maybe I should have flown in on Saturday instead of Sunday….but then I would have had to fly into CLT. And it cost more. And of course the TN airport is closer, and also less expensive. but if the westher is bad, i don't want to drive in the mountains. but then again…..

see? never mind. lol. its done.

thanks...

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airport for Boone??

I do the same thing and most of the time, I am right. But, we are not perfect!! I have never gotten a deal flying in or out of GSO, so always think of it last!

What is most important, is to enjoy your stay.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airport for Boone??

If your flying in your own plane, then the best airport is KMRN. Morganton NC.