We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet-Friendly, Knee-Friendly Walking Areas & Attractions

Which Boone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Pet-Friendly, Knee-Friendly Walking Areas & Attractions

We are first-time visitors to the Boone area, taking a long weekend to relax, and plan to bring our Lab mix dog (well trained). My husband's knees aren't up to strenuous/long hikes, but we'd like to walk with our dog around the area, preferably not in crowds.

Any suggestions/recommendations of trails or attractions would be appreciated.

We're planning this trip for mid-August.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet-Friendly, Knee-Friendly Walking Areas & Attractions

There are areas in both Boone and Blowing that are flat, but you need to know where they are. The Boone area is more spread out and offers several hotel choices, but you will need to drive and park downtown. Several places to stay do offer nice walking areas, since it is very commercial. In the business areas.

The Blowing Rock area is more compact, but I do not know if the small inns downtown are pet friendly. I do not know what you have checked, but you will need to ask each property.

Valle Crucis is another beautiful flat-like area,but limited things to do. Again, you would need to check on the pet-friendly.

There will be people! The area around Bass Lake is level and beautiful. The walk around the lake is a little less than a mile if you go all around it. There are benches along the way to sit, if you choose. There is also the Moses Cone Park area is beautiful. The town of Blowing Rock is level. There will be people and dogs walking around with you.

The Resort of Chetola, in Blowing Rock has some flat areas and a beautiful lake area. You would need to call them and ask if there are pet friendly units.

There is also a Holiday Inn Express on the outskirts of Blowing Rock. 5 minute drive into town for parking.

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

www.vallecrucis.com

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet-Friendly, Knee-Friendly Walking Areas & Attractions

You can talk a walk at the Valle Crucis park. It's just a short loop around a playground, but it's bordered by the Watauga River with easy access. I think it's okay for your dog to get in there if you want. It's also very beautifully rimmed by mountains anyway you look.

Bass Lake is another great suggestion. I don't believe dogs are allowed in the lake, though that has not stopped mine from trying. There are often horses and geese there, too, but again, very flat and a nice longer, but not too long, walk around a beautiful man made lake. This is one of my 75 yr old mother-in-law's faves.

The Boone greenway is another, less touristy option. It's a paved path most or all of the way. They are doing some work on it, so you might want to research that, but it is very easy walking and very popular with Boone residents, particularly families. You're sure to see other dogs and kids on bikes, etc. Again, river access for the pooch if he likes to swim.

I think Flat Rock trail off the Blue Ridge parkway is fairly flat and not too crowded as well as I remember. It's been several years since I've been there so can't recall for sure. It is a trail with some rock and roots, but I don't believe there is much of an incline. It goes to a cliff with a great view. I have rarely seen many people on there. …wordpress.com/2010/…

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet-Friendly, Knee-Friendly Walking Areas & Attractions

A nice and surprisingly little-visited hike is at Bamboo Gap, at BRP mile marker 285.5 on the portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway that skirts around the south side of Boone. There is a section of the Mountains to Sea Trail that is an old, nearly level dirt road that runs under the roadway and about 1.5 miles through this old farm area. A great place to walk hand-in-hand and with a dog. There is a pull-off and small parking area at Bamboo Gap.This is National Park property and dogs must be leashed. Here is a description and photo ncmst.org/the-trail/….

Edited: 27 July 2014, 17:05
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet-Friendly, Knee-Friendly Walking Areas & Attractions

Thank you, all, for your suggestions. I appreciate the input! :)

5. Re: Pet-Friendly, Knee-Friendly Walking Areas & Attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16