We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closing of 4X4 beaches

Which Buxton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
26 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Closing of 4X4 beaches

This is not being reported regarding this area but the beaches have been CLOSED to 4X4 beach vehicles throughout the summer season. Be sure you book a house directly on the beach because the bird environmentalists have closed the beach to humans, except in designated areas. A shame, and has hurt the islands economy.

If you are not staying or renting oceanside be prepared for crowded conditions and limited beach access. Forget surf fishing.

8 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

To elaborate on the post above, the area she is talking about is Hatteras Island and not the 4x4 area north of Corolla.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
26 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

Yes, which is why I put this remark in the Buxton Forum. Who knows what is next.

maryland
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

It is such a shame! Hatteras Island is only the beginning. The enviros will find something to close the northern Outer Banks beaches too. It is only a matter of time.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

Wow! this is a shame!! Can anyone share any other details about this issue?

I'm planning a Spring Break Trip the first week in April with the sole purpose of Beach Driving and Surf Fishing... Sounding like that's no longer an option?

I called the National Park Service, get the auto phone recording run around, found the links on the NPS website, regulations are difficult to read and the maps are contradicting. One map outlines all the Ramps and no indication there are closures (ORV Brochure) then the other is a set of photos highlighting almost all Hatteras beaches closed to ALL Access even foot.

Is there any driving allowed or any beach access at all?

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

They only close certain 4x4 access beaches and it varies each year depending on the birds. Yes, it's been an inconvenience, but not the end of the world. The cove can get crowded, but then it would get crowded before any closures. This does not ruin the OBX - we still go every summer and ther are still lots of fishermen out there (as a surfer, I prefer they weren't though). I try not to get involved in the politics behind this and enjoy the OBX.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

When the beaches are closed for nesting activities, it is not only to 4x4 vehicles, it is also the pedestrians. That means no humans on those beaches. And they are expanding the # of bird species that qualify for this protection beyond that of birds on the endangered species list. I think it is ignorance to not learn about the issues that can affect tourism in a place that you like to visit as a tourist. For people who want more information.

http://www.preservebeachaccess.org/index.html

Linton, Indiana
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

Does this affect the beaches in front of Cape Hatteras Motel?

MD
Level Contributor
732 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closing of 4X4 beaches

I don't think there's anything to worry about with respect to the northern beaches. The areas being closed in Hatteras are National Park land. Duck, Corolla and Carova are not National Park land, so nothing to worry about anytime soon.

Reply to: Closing of 4X4 beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buxton