We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
663 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

I have heard in the past that there are less bugs as summer goes one, have you found that to be the case? we wanted to go to OBX this year in august but it looks like circumstances are pushing us up til june and I am concerned that we will be eaten alive!

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

I haven't noticed a whole lot of bugs in the Outer Banks at any time of year. I guess in the summer you might see a few ants, but I don't think I've ever been bitten by a mosquito there, if that's your concern. Usually there's enough breeze off the ocean to keep them away.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

I think much depends on where on the OBX you stay or visit and what the wind conditions are.

Hatteras Island- take lots of bug spray for mosquitoes.

Seriously, they can be so bad you have to try to outrun them- not on the beach necessarily, but everywhere else including the walk from the beach to your rental or one block away to get ice cream.

If there is no breeze to blow them away- there they'll be. Be prepared.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
663 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

I am planning to stay in buxton.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

Sounds like maybe you should consider moving up north.... ;)

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

Or just take your favorite bug spray and be prepared.

You might not have any, depending on the conditions.

I notice them more on calm days on the sound side near areas with standing water- who'd have thunk it? ;) lol

Go have fun and be prepared. :)

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

I am more familiar with the Nags Head area than Buxton, but I wouldn't say that early summer is particularly bad for mosquitoes. The worst mosquitoes I have experienced here has been right after hurricanes or major storms in late August. That may just be a quirk of timing over the past few years, but as long as you have regular bug spray available you will be fine. Enjoy!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

Most bug issues (the flying ones) are brought over to us with the winds. The areas to out west are marshy swamps in most places and so any west wind brings them over. They are considerably worse on Hatteras and Ocracoke but many times. Any wind with a westerly component can bring them over. Conversely, onshore winds blow the little buggers to Raleigh.

8. Re: Bugs at OBX- which month is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Buxton