We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation

Which Calabash hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Family vacation

We had never heard of this area until we started looking into vacation this year. We have a young family and want to do a vacation to the beach without completely stretching our wallets. Is there anyone who can tell me if this is a good area to visit with smaller children and what there is to do with younger kids in this area? I know we would be close to Myrtle Beach, but I am curious about the area of Calabash itself. Thanks in advance!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation

Hi Snowangel,

Calabash is not really a vacation destination itself. It began as a tiny fishing and timber shipping village on the Calabash River (it's not actually on the ocean). Around the 1930's some enterprising locals began preparing the seafood to sell on the spot using makeshift kitchens set up under the trees. Eventually they built restaurants and became famous for the lightly breaded, deep fried cooking style. I can remember going there as a young boy in the 1960's, and at that time there were maybe 6-8 restaurants, a gas station, and maybe a bait shop or two. It's grown considerably since then, and now there are many more restaurants, shops, condos, etc. But unless you're a big golfer or fisherman, there's not much reason to stay there.

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation

My family is going to Calabash this summer for our family vacation as well. WIth all of the oil problems in the Gulf, I thought we would try a new spot on the Atlantic Ocean. We have been to Myrtle Beach twice in the past 5 years, so we thought it would be nice to stay just a little outside of Myrtle in a quiter spot that is easily accessible to Myrtle to go there for tourist stuff (putt putt, amusement park, etc).

Calabash looks like a nice place to take a family on a budget. The condos are much cheaper there than in Myrtle Beach and it looks like a 15 minute drive to either Sunset Beach or Ocean Isle Beach for closest beach access. North Myrtle Beach is like 20 minutes away and Central Myrtle Beach is around 30 minutes away by using the new bypass. We are also going to visit the NC Aquarium via the ferry in Southport, NC ..... just 25 miles North of Calabash.

I was able to find a very nice 3BR condo on a golf course resort for $450 for the week in July. With indoor pools, outdoor pools, jacuzzis, tennis courts, pool tables on the complex, it seems like it will be real nice for my family with 2 younger children.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation

I agree, it is a big area for golf condos; you'll find a lot of golfers staying in the area,(from 1st hand experience-my husband and friends; they go to the area for golf and golf only) and also there are a lot of retired people who live there year round. I love Calabash but I go there for the wonderful seafood; I wouldn't want to stay there for a family "beach" vacation.

For a family beach vacation, my major hesitation staying anywhere like that so far from a beach is that unlike other beach areas up and down the east coast both North Carolina and South Carolina offer very few public beach accesses and at those it is rare to find public restrooms and/or much, if any public parking.

Before you give up staying on the beach or in walking distance of the beach, try the N.C. Brunswick Islands of Holden Beach and Oak Island; they are wonderful beaches within an hour of Myrtle Beach, very family friendly, beautiful beaches and natural surroundings; the rates there are less than you'll find in and around the Myrtle Beach areas.

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation

Just returned home from our family vacation in Calabash. It was a great vacation and a great town to use as a home base to visit the area. We stayed at the Crow Creek golf community and could not have asked for anything better in a condominium.

Sunset Beach was an awesome, family-oriented beach that had huge beach area with smooth, soft sand. There were virtually no shells on the beach or in the water.....it was about 15 minutes to the beach from the condo. There was plenty of parking within a couple blocks from the beach where there was a very nice gazebo area with showers, restrooms, etc.

We also spent a lot of time at Ocean Isle Beach, NC. It was loaded with seashells (great for the kids to find a surprise). The beach had ample public access points and the community had ice cream shops, restaurants, etc. We also enjoyed this beach very much.

We drove to Southport and took the ferry across to Kure Beach/Ft. Fisher and visited the NC Aquarium at Ft. Fisher. It was a nice facility with very nice exhibits. It took our family of 5 about 2-2.5 hours to tour. The ferry ride was awesome. It was approx 40 minutes in the water while crossing the Cape Fear River. It was a cool experience for the whole family.

We also drove down to Myrtle Beach twice during our 7 night stay in Calabash. We took in dinner and an evening at Broadway at the Beach and later in the week we enjoyed a late lunch at Key west Crazy in Little River, SC followed by an afternoon/evening at the Family Kingdom Amusement Park.

I highly recommend staying here again in the future, The laid back feel of Calabash, combined with the beaches at Ocean Isle and Sunset Beach and the entertainment possibilities in the Myrtle Beach area make this a great vacation destination.

5. Re: Family vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Calabash