We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

We were thinking of switching to Myrtle Beach because I ran a search and it looks like there are a lot of antique malls in the Myrtle Beach area.

Can anyone tell me about the differences between the two areas?

Thank you again for any help! I read every response thoroughly and consider each one.

:)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

MB, crowded, traffic, VERY commercial, great if you don't mind those things. Yes, lots more to do. (along with everyone else there!)

CB, laid back, not as much traffic, NOT commercial.

More "beachy" atmosphere. More relaxing. More "local" flavor.

Still think your best bet for antique malls would be more inland..as you are coming to the beach, get off the Interstate...ask the locals.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,549 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

This multi-dealer antique shop site might help. Just click on the state you need and look up the cities:

http://www.antiquetrip.com/

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

bump for jewelgal

north carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

If you're looking for antiquing and shopping, I'd recommend MB, but if you dislike crowds & traffic, I'd recommend Carolina Beach. MB can be VERY hectic in the summer. If you do choose to go to MB, stay in North Myrtle Beach- it tends to be a bit less expensive and less crowded but still close to all the attractions.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

Sounds like you may be going more for antiqueing than for the beach. If so, there are far better towns to visit. What are your priorities? If you choose NMB, Conway is a short drive and has decent antiques.

Carolina Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

I agree that MB is hustle and bustle VS the more laid back atmosphere of Carolina Beach/Kure Beach.

A short ferry ride from Ft Fisher (the South end of the island) you'll be in Southport and there are several antique shops over there and a lot other neat little shops.

http://www.southporttimes.com/antiques.html gives you some idea of what you might expect over there.

7. Re: Myrtle Beach Area VS Carolina Beach Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations