We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC beach good for small kids

West Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
NC beach good for small kids

I'm looking for a NC beach that's good for small children (3 and 1). We've been to Corolla, which we loved, but were thinking about going more in the Wilmington area for warmer water (planning trip for mid-June). Looking for family friendly activities and gentle surf (3 year old not a big fan of water yet). Any help is much appreciated!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NC beach good for small kids

IMO, the beaches and surf at Carolina Beach are not kid friendly. Steep slopes, choppy waters and strong currents. Just over the NC border into SC, is North Myrtle Beach...beaches are long and flat during low tides, with small tide pools (perfect for litle ones).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NC beach good for small kids

If you go to Topsail island, and find a place to stay close to the southern end of the island, there is public beach access on the sound side of the island. A nice parking area, and just across a small sand strip and you are on a calm beach with no waves (aside from occasional boat wake).

When we were down there this past summer, the 4 boys with me (2 mine, 2 borrowed, ages 10-16) liked this place the best of all! If you walk down towards the inlet, there are pools and tidal flats you can walk out onto.

Use an online satellite application such as google earth or wikimapia and zoom in on the area. It is really quite beautiful.

My parents lived on Topsail in 1969-70 when it was really "undiscovered" country. We have been going back ever since. I have been to other NC beaches all up and down the state to Carolla to Sunset Beach and just find myself enchanted with Topsail over all the rest.

Carolina Beach
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NC beach good for small kids

Hello bharr,

Yes, Carolina Beach is a very nice spot for family and children. The surf conditions do vary depending on the weather. Just this past weekend, my wife and I were on the south end and the water was very calm. carolinabeachtoday.com/2009/01/afternoon-at-…

Of course if there are storms or low pressure systems looming off the Atlantic, then the conditions can get rough.

Depending on recent storm activty, the beach conditions can also vary. There are times that the shoreline will get tight but a few weeks later, the beach will return to normal. I suppose the ocean has its own cycle.

But the best way for you to glean whether this is a good spot to vacation with children is to hear from other tourist with children. With that said, I recommend you reading some of the blog entries from families discussing their vacation on Pleasure Island. The Oct 7th and Sep 3rd entry have quite a few family blogs.

carolinabeachtoday.com/search/…20Island

As for things to do here, this site has a good sampling of some of the activities available here.

http://www.pleasureislandvacationguide.com/

Best of luck with your search and I sincerely hope that you and your family enjoy your summer vacation...wherever that might be.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NC beach good for small kids

Wrightsville Beach is wide and flat. The water gently rolls in. The water temp in July is about 84 degrees, so I would guess in June it will be warm. We also like Ocean Isle Beach, it is 25 minutes from the South Carolina border. The beach is pretty much the same but the area is very quiet with no much to do. I agree with the other person about google earth. The beach changes with the moons and tides.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NC beach good for small kids

Yes, don't rely on anyone saying beach is wide, flat, steep, gentle, tide pools to play in, etc. It could be that way, and then next month after a huge storm, or an unusually high tide, the lay of the land drastically changes.

You are definitely going to find warmer water anywhere south of cape Hatteras. The Gulf Stream brings the water up and then shoots out to the Atlantic off Hatteras. Plus the Chesapeake Bay brings in colder temps to the northern NC beaches.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NC beach good for small kids

That last post came out sort of wrong...I don't want to offend the prior poster. Yes, some of the beaches tend to be wider and flatter than others.

My point was to not make a binding decision on where to go based on a statement of the condition of the beach, because it could change.

I have been to the same house on the same beach year after year, and some years find tidal pools, and others the beach steep and narrow.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NC beach good for small kids

bharr, I think it's safe to say that any NC beach would be great for kids that young. At that age just the sand and water is excitement enough, and all beaches offer plenty of it. Wilmington is a great area for families. You can stay at one of the nearby beaches for the sun and waves (Wrightsville, Carolina, Kure), then take the short drive into Wilmington for great restaurants, shopping, and fun things to do. As mentioned above, the South Brunswick beaches are great too (Holden, Sunset, and Ocean Isle). These are close to Myrtle Beach with all its tourist attractions, yet far enough away so you don't have to deal with the crowds and congestion.

Check out this link--it's full of information about the entire southern NC coastal area: http://www.insiders.com/wilmington/

No matter where you decide to go, I'm sure you'll all have a great time!

East Coast
Level Contributor
473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NC beach good for small kids

We like Ocean Isle's beaches. We use to go there every summer with our IL's and the beach was nice.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
257 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NC beach good for small kids

You can look at my slide show on my other post and see a pretty good idea of what the beaches looked like when we were there.

It was a tad bit more sloped than Myrtle Beach but we walked up and down the beach quite distance and you can definately find some great areas to play.

There is a nice playground area with paddle boats , the aquarium at Fort Fisher, and the Ferry to Southport. My 2yo loved that.

-Mel

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
257 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NC beach good for small kids

Wanted to add....

If you truly want kid friendly surf/waves I recommend the gulf of mexico beaches.

I went to Destin, Fla 9 years ago and the waves were very , very calm and the water was almost clear...but the beach wasn't very flat.The water was very warm. I don't know how it is now...haven't been in a long time.

Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations