We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina beach?

Chicago
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Carolina beach?

We are thinking of Carolina beach for our summer trip! We will be driving from Chicago and want to make sure the 16 hr drive will be worth it. I have 3 girls 9,6,and 3. if you travel to NC beaches is there any other one you would reccomend more? Thanks jrpthp

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina beach?

I would check out Ocean Isle Beach or Wrightsville Beach. I am not a big fan of Carolina Beach. I feel it is sort of run down and honky tonk. Ocean Isle Beach is about 23 minutes from Myrtle Beach, SC if you are looking for things to do for the kids. We enjoy the peace and quiet of Ocean Isle Beach. Wrightsville beach is a nice wide beach with many places to eat and shop. Be sure to click on the photos of each area and see for yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Beach
North Carolina
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
2. Re: Carolina beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2011, 20:01
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,584 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina beach?

Carolina Beach is a wonderful, small family "beachy" town. Quaint....lots of local flavor. We LOVE it!!

Having said that....you might want to consider driving anouther hour or so to North Myrtle Beach, SC. More touristy feel, but lots more to do. Especially for girls your age. Of course, more crowded and more traffic to deal with. Or stay in Carolina Beach and head to Myrtle Beach for a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
North Myrtle Beach
North Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carolina beach?

Funny, we are also traveling from Chicago. Can anyone address concerns about Carolina Beach and a loud and "carney" boardwalk? The value seems great.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carolina beach?

Been there and would not return. I like wide flat beaches with soft fluffy sand, and this beach is not. Way too honky tonk. Click on the photos to the left and see for yourself. Now I must say I was spoiled before staying at this beach. We would always stay at the Sunspree Resort on Wrightsville Beach, just about 30 minutes north of Carolina beach. It was like night and day, the beach and the area! During that vacation we drove to WB and Ocean Isle Beach for a day, just for a nicer beach and one with lots of shells. I guess if you have never been to any of the Carolina beaches before then Carolina beach would be ok for you.

Mentioned in this post
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Beach
North Carolina
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,584 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carolina beach?

If you like local flavor, small beach town atmosphere, friendly locals, then Carolina Beach is for you!! Arcade/boardwalk area is not loud, "carney" type..that would might find in larger areas (Myrtle Beach). Beach can vary from one area being nice and wide..to another area where the surf comes right up to the beach access.

We love the Carolina/Kure Beach area!! I highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Kure Beach
Kure Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carolina beach?

The small 'beachy town' feel is fine, though does seem a bit run down to me. The beach itself is what I don't like about it. Compared to other beaches in the Carolinas, it is very sloped, choppy, and currents are strong.

8. Re: Carolina beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 23:35
ncanton
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Carolina beach?

We truly enjoy Carolina beach it is a very quiet beach. There are lots of things to do and lots of good restaurants... Lots of shells to gather, lots of great sand for sand castles and the kids love the waves for surf boarding. Yes the boardwalk is not "Disneyworld" but we have been there over and over and we just want to have a nice relaxing vacation to be together with family and friends away from the rush of the world and feel like we have vacationed. So when we come home we do not feel like we need a vacation from our vacation!!! Love it...you will to! Wilmington is close an excellent place to visit and Kure Beach just up the road. The kids also love to go off the boardwalk to fish...awesome they get so excited,they get alot..they really enjoyed seeing the dophins swimming behinds the boats.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Kure Beach
Kure Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carolina beach?

I live close to CB and there are definitely issues with the entire Pleasure Island area. One person put it perfectly when they described the 'riff raff' on the island. If you happen to enjoy nightlife, watch out. The island lures you with several bars, a 'Brew Through' and even an ABC megastore. Do NOT EVER drive after having even one drink-you will get caught. CB Police are very pro active when it comes to DUI's. Instead, walk to the closest destination and walk back. I can tell you that my 19 yr old son was held at gunpoint for 30 minutes while his car was torn apart. All he got in return was a 'sorry-wrong guy'. Good thing he was so cooperative-people have been blasted with pepper spray and taken to lock up for less. Recently, a young, 100 lb female got both her hands broken by CB police-charges are pending and being taken out of town for fair trial. In a nutshell-the island is extremely corrupt. I think I might agree with previous posters when they suggest Outer Banks-especially if you are looking at a 'family' destination.

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations