We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina Beach

Which Carolina Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Carolina Beach

I will be coming to CB in August for a needed relaxing and laid back beach vacation. After reading all the negative posts I am concerned about my decision. I will be staying in an ocean view condo on Texas Avenue which seems adorable especially for the prices. Any thoughts about the area? How is the beach area?

Thanks!

Tami

Also can you give me any feed back on the drive down to NC - best route, halfway stay over spot and the highway situation. I am coming from Columbus Ohio

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina Beach

Certain posters seem compelled to pop up from nowhere to slam certain areas. Carolina Beach is no different. But...I can't begin to tell you how nice and relaxing this area is. We have stayed there...and in neighboring Kure Beach many times. Our goal..is to retire there.

Don't worry....you will have a nice time there!!

Coming from Columbus you will go thru West Virginia. Beckley is about 4 hours and a good place to take a break. Lots of resturants....and a very nice, somewhat upscale shopping place is Tamarack. (right off Interstate 77/64.

From Beckley...head down I-77...then head toward Winston-Salem, NC, get on I-40 East and you will be in Wilmington, NC in no time. Hwy 421 will take you the rest of the way.

Have a great time!! :)

Edited: 14 July 2010, 18:10
kansas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carolina Beach

Just returned from our 1st trip to Carolina Beach yesterday & we really, really loved it. Hope to return next year.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina Beach

Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to hit the beach!!!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carolina Beach

We're currently at Carolina Beach, and this is our third year here. It's a nice beach town that's working hard to improve for its tourists. The beaches are not crowded, the townspeople are friendly and there are several attractions in the area if you have children. This week we've been to the aquarium at Ft. Fisher, gone into Wilmington for exploring and enjoyed family night on the boardwalk Tuesday and the fireworks there tonight. Enjoy your trip--you'll have a great time.

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carolina Beach

I don't get the negative posts. Like the previous poster said, these people just seem to pop up to bash certain places for whatever reason. We just discovered the CB area last year and love it. We returned this past year and are already looking forward to going next summer. The Fort Fisher park is great. We had an awesome waterfront picnic there and my daughter also lived the aquarium. If you get a chance take the ferry to Southport. Its only a 25-30 minute ride but it was fun and Southport is beautiful. We went to the Orton plantation which is above Southport and is was great, we saw some gators and the grounds were beautiful. I can honestly say that we've not had any bad expereinces with the area. We've been to many other popular southern beaches and this is our favorite. Enjoy your trip.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carolina Beach

Tripadvisor forums are specifically for opinions. Some have had negative opinions/experiences with Carolina Beach, thus the posts. Inquirers need to read through all posts (good or bad). Personally, I think there are much better nearby beaches and beach towns than Carolina Beach, others think it's great.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carolina Beach

We just returned from Carolina Beach, driving from Akron. We spent the first night in Greensboro, NC to see our daughter. We stayed at the Drury Inn--good happy hour with free drinks and food, nice pool. It was a four hour trip from Greensboro to Carolina Beach, perfect time for our check-in at 3:00. We loved the north end, near the fishing pier--good beach, not crowded. We rented bikes, played tennis at a local city park, took the ferry to Southport and visited the Aquarium at Ft. Fisher, and ate dinner in Wilmington. We weren't crazy about the Boardwalk area--a somehwat "seedy carnival" atmosphere, but we biked down to get doughnuts, and played bingo there on Wednesday night. Also music and fireworks on Thursday night. We loved Carolina Beach and Kure Beach nearby. If you like seafood, try Shuck n Shack and Fish Bites.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carolina Beach

In my opinion Carolina Beach is one of the safest areas alnog the Carolina coast one could visit. As a longtime resident of the Carolina Beach area and native of North Carolina I am biased. But for a family get a way you have so many options to explore. Especially during the summer they have great events for all ages. The beach itself is sometimes a bit crowed but with little effort you can find a place at the lower end of the island that make you feel like you are the only person on the beach. YOu have restaurants both at the beach and Wilmington and top shopping opportunities. This is a great place to visit and enjoy. Don't be swayed by the negative comments.

Finally, if you atre driving from Columbus, check Mapquest for the best route. But if you have a chance malke a half way stop in Asheville, NC and enjoy some of our mountain beauty.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carolina Beach

keepthosebagspacked, thanks for that post about Carolina Beach. We love it there!! (Kure Beach too)

(I must say though...Asheville, while beautiful, is kind of out of the way that the original poster would be going...from Columbus. Not halfway point at all. Maybe they will make that trip another time:)

Xenia, Ohio
Level Contributor
418 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carolina Beach

Although we stayed in Wilmington at a friends house, we just returned yesterday. We did go to Carolina Beach and it was beautiful. We drove out on the beach at Freeman Park as well. It was very busy but you will have that in 95 degree weather.

Looking forward to another trip in just under 5 weeks!

We also drove from Ohio (Dayton). Beckley is about halfway but we drove a little further to just outside Winston-Salem (7 hours) and we woke up and drove the last 4 hours and wasn't as tired when we arrived. We plan to do the same when we go to Myrtle Beach on our honeymoon in March.

Hope you have a great trip!

Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach