We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina Beach Water Conditions

montreal
3 posts
Save Topic
Carolina Beach Water Conditions

Hi , I have never been to carolina beach but am going the 2nd week in August. Reading the posts on this site gives me the impression that the water is rough , dangerous and unswimable. Is it really that bad ? Is there really a l;ack of lifeguarsd etc. I;ve got 2 kids both are 12 and have been looking forward to this trip for over 2 years

Thanks for any info

Jimmy

Rocky River, Ohio
Level Contributor
196 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina Beach Water Conditions

We just got back from Carolina Beach yesterday. The water was wonderful. There were lots of people with boogie boards and lots of people surfing. The area that we stayed at (we were just a little south of the lake) had good lifeguard presence. There was one posted right at our access point and there were lifeguards in ATVs going back and forth all day. There is a fairly strong current, but we had no problems. Be sure to educate yourself and teach your kids how to get out of a riptide if they encounter one. I didn't go down to the north end of the island much, so I can't tell you about lifeguard presence there.

If your kids like to boogie board and body surf, they will enjoy the ocean. But I don't want to make light ... the ocean current is strong in Carolina Beach. There were several instances of the lifeguards going into action, and one little girl was tended to by paramedics. Be sure to stress to your kids to keep an eye on each other, but they should do that at ANY beach.

I thought the water was beautiful and clear and at low tide you can walk out really far. The beach itself is wide, gorgeous and well maintained. And a nice breeze was blowing constantly, helping to cool us down in the hot weather.

If you want a nice dinner out one night, you may want to try the Deck House. It was awesome. We also went to The Cottage and had a nice dinner there, but it's probably not a place you'll want to take your boys. It's pretty upscale, quite expensive and very limited menu. Your kids would probably like the Seawitch for burgers and wrap sandwiches.

Have a great time abd don't worry. Just be careful and you'll have a wonderful time.

Mentioned in this post
Deck House
Deck House
540 Reviews
Carolina Beach, NC
ohio
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Carolina Beach Water Conditions

Hi there,

I just got back from Carolina Beach yesterday, and there is some validity to the rough water condidtions. The water is very swimable and shallow, but can get rough with the waves. When tide is high they break close to shore and riptide can be an issue. Low tide is great and you have areas where you can walk way out that are only up to your waist. We had a 3 year old and a 10 year old. The 10 year old practically lived in the water. We had a life guard right by our condo, and they do ride up and down the beach during the day. Pay attention to the flags they display ( yellow means caution/red means dangerous). The lifeguards swim out regularly to check the water conditions.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,473 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina Beach Water Conditions

bump

4. Re: Carolina Beach Water Conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations