We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

Hi. I've always wanted to check out the Carolina's but not sure which one exactly. I'll be traveling for a week with my husband and 8 yr old son on the last week of August. We like to spend some time at the beach (maybe couple of days), do fun time (maybe miniature golf, we're not into rides or amusement parks) I know no boardwalks here, correct? My son likes animals, so zoos are always on the itenirary whenever we go on vacation, (maybe aquariums too, if nearby). Then just explore and see new places or enjoy the nature and relax. So I'm not sure which area would be best for us, the north or south? I heard myrtle beach is crowded. Please advise, and also best place to stay- not planning on a big budget either, as this will be our second vacation for the year :).

Thank you and I appreciate your time.

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

I didn't read the other responses but based on what you've said you want to do I would probably go to myrtle beach. I've spent every summer at myrtle beach since I was a baby and we only switched to carolina beach (North Carolina) two years ago because of the crowds. But we go in the peak season. By the last week of August schools are back in session and the crowds at myrtle beach won't be bad at all. There are tons of mini golf and things to do. We spend the majority of our trip on the beach so we love carolina beach but there isn't much to do if you aren't planning on being at the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

Thank you for the info, I didn't know that schools are back by the last week of August in the Carolina's, that good to know for this trip.

Ironton, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

Kure beach is your place. Been vacationing there for 25 plus years.

Mentioned in this post
Kure Beach
Kure Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

Thanks for the idea, I'll check it out......hope I'm not late at finding hotels......:((

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

"1.Start date no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26 and end date no later than the Friday closest to June 11 (unless a weather related calendar waiver has been approved, year-round school, charter school or cooperative innovative high school.) If waiver is approved the start date can be no earlier than the Monday closest to August 19."

ncpublicschools.org/fbs/accounting/calendar/

16. Re: North or South Carolina - first time in the carolinas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations