We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

triangle area wedding ideas?

Which Chapel Hill hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
triangle area wedding ideas?

Help!

I've been enlisted to help plan a wedding in the triangle area for 2 Carolina grads who've moved out of the area. I'm also out of state so am doing online research.

They are looking for an 'all inclusive' place for ceremony & reception - to simplify things. Maybe something a bit different...and of course, budget is an issue.

Yikes! I'm a first timer at this, but they are both in grad school and feeling overwhelmed.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
741 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

Ferrington Village, but it may be pricey, but is fabulous. Duke Gardens is a wedding mainstay....not sure they allow receptions too, and UNC types may not approve.

If you want something different, how about the Inn at Celebrity Dairy??? I have heard it is lovely.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

NO, NO, NO! You can't do any thing "Duke" for Carolina Grads!!! Sacrilegious! (lol,..... kinda)

The Carolina Inn would be THE top choice for a Carolina Tar Heel wedding and reception! carolinainn.com/chapel-hill-nc-weddings.php

Here's a wedding venue list I found online; maybe it will be helpful: http://www.eventective.com/USA/North+Carolina/Chapel+Hill/Wedding-Receptions.html

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

Thank you!

We are looking at the Carolina Inn (maybe a bit too traditional for them), Fearrington Village, Rosedown in Smithfield, Highgrove in Fuquay-Verina, and the Haywood Hall Museum in Raleigh.

Anyone have any experience with these sites?

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
741 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

I have been to Haywood Hall a couple times for receptions, once where the wedding was there too. I do recall that for the one with the wedding, it was pouring rain and the inside of the building is nice, but very small.

north carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

I recommend one of the following (having been to weddings or coordinated events at each):

1. Washington Duke Inn- Durham, NC- expensive, but GREAT food and fantastic for planning if you can't be there

2. Fearrington Village- Chapel Hill, NC- wedding in the garden or inn, and reception in the 'barn'- sounds bad it's very elegant and flexible space

3. Matthews House- Cary, NC- beautiful mansion and very nice reception area- they only do weddings and special events

4. Carolina Inn- Chapel Hill, NC Very nice spaces, but I wasn't so impressed by the food or service

5. Siena Hotel- Chapel Hill, NC-again, very nice food and easy to work-with coordinators

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

I don't think the purpose of a Chapel Hill wedding is to end up in Raleigh, Durham, or Cary. I have been to wedding/ receptions at Fearrinton and Carolina Inn and both were outstanding. I have been to other functions at The Siena and they were excellent as well. Carolina Inn is the most centrally located. Fearrington is, or was a Relais & Chateau. Pricy but good value.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

Actually, anywhere in the triangle area is OK - we are now looking at areas farther afield as well - open to just about anything!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

How unusual, coming all the way back to have you wedding "near " Chapel Hill.

I'm with you Jeem. All my many friends and family who now attend or have graduated from Carolina see the campus as well as the town of Chapel Hill as Holy ground; no matter how many other universities they attend or degrees they have; there's no place like Chapel Hill. No Tar Heel I know would be pleased with "near" Chapel Hill; it must be IN Chapel Hill. lol!

Raleigh
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

I agree...there's almost in Chapel Hill and there's "in" Chapel Hill

there's almost on campus and there's "on" campus

The Carolina Inn is the best choice. All inclusive packages, great food, one block to Franklin Street, advance tee times at Finley, beautiful courtyards, friday night bluegrass music...come on!!!

Who else can compete with that???

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

Check the OP - I was looking for a venue in the "triangle area"....