We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
127 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

My wife and I are traveling to Chapel Hill for the UNC vs. Marshall basketball game 12/22. We plan to stay a couple of nights and spend 12/23 taking in all of the local attractions (one being the basketball museum). We are planning to stay at the Franklin Hotel, figuring that would be a good place to stay within walking distance of several restaurants and bars on Franklin Street. Is this a good assumption? Thanks for any advice.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

The Franklin Hotel is in a great location for walking, enjoying Franklin st. and the best of Chapel Hill.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

Yeah, for location, there's no better hotel in Chapel Hill than The Franklin. Carolina Inn would be a good second choice.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

If you don't want to drive, locationwise: Franklin. The best deal (Name your own price) : Courtyard by Marriott through Priceline.com. (Have done it twice at $50.night) But you can never be sure which hotel Priceline puts you in; though in our case it was always Courtyard...

NC
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

As others have stated, the Franklin is a good choice, albeit on the more expensive end. I would suggest the Courtyard Marriot near the Friday center:

courtyardchapelhill.com/apg_1148063399.php

There's actually a Chapel Hill bus shuttle service called the "tarheel express" that takes people from the Friday center parking lot directly to the Dean Dome on gamedays.

Raleigh
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

For travelers looking for a true Chapel Hill experience - The Carolina Inn is teh only logical choice.

Here's why:

- best location of any hotel in town - only hotel on campus and 1 block from Franklin St

-historic hotel built by alumnus in 1924

-owned by the University

-Mobil 4 Star Dining Room

-The place to be in Chapel Hill

Teh Franklin is blah - Think Sheraton/Marriott - YAWN...and from what I hear a pretty screwed up restaurant - if they can call it that.

Courtyard - again - YAWN - 3 miles to downtown and campus.

So to recap - why drive and deal with parking and traffic - when you can stay at the Inn and walk to everything

Carolina Tradition

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

I will post a review later...but the Franklin Hotel was very nice, would stay there again.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

I hope you enjoyed the trip. Marshall hung tough for a while.

8. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights - UNC vs. Marshall game included

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2010, 06:15