We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tar heels

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
Tar heels

Hi all. I will be in Chapel Hill for 5 nights next February (8-13) to catch the tar heels in action in the NCAA Basketball. We are playing duke on the 8th February, is there any chance of picking up tickets outside the arena?ni know the level of rivalry between the 2 is immense, and as an avid sports fan, I'd like to say I have done this rivals game.

Also I am looking at staying in chapel hill for the 5nighs, is this too long? I think I am going to stay in the chapel hill university inn, it's close to the campus. Is there any bars near by where I will be able to follow the European soccer?thank in advance.

Go tar heels

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tar heels

The University Inn is not close to campus. The Carolina Inn is close to campus.

I think you might possibly be able to pick up tix to the Duke vs UNC outside the game if you want to pay a whole, whole, whole lot of money, but that's if the scalpers don't get busted. That will be the hardest ticket to find all year and the Heels are supposed to be awesome this year so chances are slim, IMO. Better start looking now!

If you have a car, the University Inn is not a bad choice. I think it's supposed to be a pretty okay hotel (former Holiday Inn), but it's on the wrong side of the road for walking anywhere. The Days Inn across the street is better for walking to restaurants, etc, but neither one of them are close to campus or to the downtown district. If you want to be able to walk to Franklin St and soak in the campus culture you want the Carolina Inn or The Franklin.

Best place to watch European soccer is Italian Pizzeria III on Franklin St. They have a big screen and rabid Italian futbol fans.

Chapel Hill is small, so 5 days just in CH would give you more than enough time to cover the whole town, but if you have a car you could venture out to Durham and Raleigh, etc.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tar heels

Thanks for the reply. I booked the Chapel Hill University Inn, I wont have a car, but the price of £200 ($300 USD for 4 nights) was too good to turn down, also i am led to believe they offer transportation for upto 3miles. I looked at the Carolina Inn and it was too expensive, as i am on a budget. There are a few things that I want to do, like visit the Carolina Basketball museum. So 5days may be too much, but i will find things to do. I will try that Pizzeria as i liek Italian soccer but prefer English/ Spanish, which if i cna find an Irish bar will probably show these games.

I thought the chances of getting a well priced ticket would be very difficult for the Duke game, as the tar Heels are ranked number1 in the NCAA. I didnt know if tickets would ebcome cheaper the closer to tip off we got. 1 of the reasons I am there for 5 nights is to catch the Tar Heels game on the Saturday, as tickets will be easier/ cheaper to get.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tar heels

I would really consider gettig a car which would also give you the option of checking out Raleigh and Durham as well.

Even for the Duke game, tickets can be had right up to tipoff and they do come down in price as that time nears. You might fashion a sign that says something on the order of "UK UNC Fan needs a ticket" and you might even be gifted one. More chance of that in football however.

Unless there is something compelling on, many bars will happily change one of their TV's to whatever you would like to watch. It would be helpful to know which channel might be showing English/ Spanish hockey. Soccer is actually THE football at UNC these days. I hope you have a nice stay

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tar heels

That's too bad, Nick, on the hotel. The Days Inn would have been a much better choice for my money if you're trying to go cheap. You won't be able to leave the hotel without having to cross a four lane road. It's not a nice intersection to cross, either. I'm pretty sure the hotel shuttle doesn't run at night, etc. We had another poster here not too long ago ask about this hotel and I looked it up then. It's on their website. I guess you could take the game shuttle from University Mall, but other than that the city buses don't run at night, either. You'll probably be looking at taxi fare if you don't rent a car. The city buses are great during the day (free), but stop running about 7pm.

I paid $100 for a ticket to the game right before tip-off about 15 yrs ago. It wasn't a great Carolina team that year, either. A quick look online shows UNC-Duke tickets are going for $500+ for 2 right now. I'm sure that game will sell-out.

The Virginia game should be much easier and much cheaper to get tickets to, but if the team is as good this year as predicted many games will sell-out. Tickets are going for $75 for 2 right now.

Italian Pizzeria is the best place to watch soccer. I think they watch any game that is on. There are some Irish themed bars in town, but not really an authentic Irish bar. They're all run by Americans to the best of my knowledge.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tar heels

Thanks for all of your help, I did look at renting a car, the only problem is because I am under 25 (24, 25 a few monthslater) the insurance rockets and makes the cost alot higher. I will look at several other options before i go to NC, as I have a few months.

The bus schedule on the hotel website finishes at 20.00, which isnt great, but it is managable. To be honest there is a bar in the hotel so I dotn mind taking drinks in there, or if i am unable to take a bus back from Franklin Street a taxi isnt the worst case scenario.

$500 for 2 isnt too bad, i am willing to pay that for 1! where is that? I will look with a view to buying the tickets. been a Tar Heel fan for 10years, so as a 1 off I dont mind it, as I doubt I will ever have the oppurtunity to do it again. There are plenty of bars local to the campus that will show it? Also what sort of price will i expect to be payign for beer near campus?

Sorry for the questions. I don't mind watching a few soccer games over the weekend in an Irish bar (even if theyre not authentic-its just somewhere I can catch the game and meet new people).

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tar heels

Hey Nick,

On the tickets I just googled "unc basketball tickets duke" and got several hits. I don't know anything specific about any of the various sites.

Beer prices? $3-4, maybe? You could get a cheaper brew for a cheaper price -- PBR, etc.

I'm not sure that other bars in town will show soccer. They will definitely show sports and if the bar is not crowded you could ask for soccer and they'd probably be willing to change the channel, but if any basketball game is on chances are that the TVs will be tuned to that. Chapel Hill is a basketball town and they will watch any game no matter who is playing. If it's the World Cup or something there will be places you can watch soccer, but if it's the choice between a regular soccer game vs a regular NCAA basketball game chances are good that the TV will be on the basketball game. You could try Kildaire's (http://chapelhill.kildaresirishpub.com/), but I don't know that the Irish theme extends to watching soccer on TV if it's crowded. Maybe, though. I do know that the Italian Pizzeria guys are always amenable to soccer/futbol.

8:00pm/20:00 is very early for heading back to the hotel. Lots of people don't even start going out for the night then. Last call for alcohol is 2:00am.

7. Re: Tar heels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 19:15