We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve dining options?

Which Chapel Hill hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Eve dining options?

We will be in Chapel Hill on Christmas Eve. Where can we go for dinner? World class meal not needed, just good food in a comfortable setting.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

I'm not sure how many restaurants will be open Christmas Eve. You may end up going for either the high end or the lower end of the spectrum. On the higher end, you could check out Carolina Crossroads, the restaurant of the Carolina Inn www.carolinainn.com/crossroads-restaurant.php . On the lower end, I know some of the Chinese restaurants in town will be open on Christmas Day and I would assume Christmas Eve as well.

Tell us what kind of food would you like and we could check out a few possibilities.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

It looks like Elaine's on W Franklin will be open until 8:30 on Christmas Eve. http://elainesonfranklin.com/ . It's quite nice.

And Acme in Carrboro http://acmecarrboro.com/home/damn-good-wine which is also pretty popular.

Edited: 12 December 2011, 01:46
united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

Thanks for your reply and the good ideas- I will check into those.

We are not foodie-types. Just need a good meal and good service in a pleasant environment....Steakhouse would be good, or Italian...guess those would top the list, but anything that's not too spicy and well prepared would do.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

I doubt you'll find a steakhouse or Italian open for Christmas Eve in CH. Acme might be your best bet. They do good foodie food, but I'm pretty sure they've got high end burgers on the menu. Don't know if they're doing a special menu for Christmas eve or not.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

Thanks for the help. At least I now know where to look!

Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

Il Palio Restaurant in the Siena Hotel is a great upscale choice. Www.sienahotel.com

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

Chapel Hill has a vibrant restaurant scene but very few chain restaurants within the town limits. Holidays come and students and parents leave town and lots of places close down for the holidays.

As you drive toward Durham on 15/501 when you cross I-40, you are technically in Durham, but its really closer than some places in CH depending on where you are staying. There is an Applebees, Outback, LoneStar, Red Robin, Bob Evans, Dickie BBQ, Carrabba's, and maybe more right beyond the interstate. I don;t know their schedules but for a basic non foodie something you are familiar with meal this might be a good option.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Our first choices, Top O' the Hill and Spanky's were not open for dinner, and Elaines, Il Palio and Crossroads were all booked out more than 2 hours past where we needed so we ended up at Spice Tree at the University Mall.

We had a good meal and good service with menu options to suit the whole gang.

Thanks for your input.

9. Re: Christmas Eve dining options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 10:17