We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to move from CA to Chapel Hill area in Summer 2015

San Francisco...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Want to move from CA to Chapel Hill area in Summer 2015

My husband works for Cisco Systems out of San Jose, CA as a software engineer. We have a 1 year old and expecting a 2nd in December 2012. We also have a son who will be in high school at the time of this move.

We want to be a reasonable commuting distance from RTP, as Cisco is located there.

Excellent public schools are important to us. The homes on Zillow at this time are beautiful, and very much what we are looking for... but we really know nothing of the area as of yet.

Can you recommend areas:

-Close in commute to RTP (20-30 min)

-Great public schools

-Wooded property, about 2 acres

-4 bedroom minimum, about 2500+sf

-water/lake on/near property

-decent amount of distance from neighbors, yet neighborly is fine

-200k to 400k

On Zillow, the homes in Mebane are really nice! But I'm wondering if it's too far from RTP. Is there a place like Mebane closer to RTP?

Any ideas, links, recommendations... all welcome. I have three years to plan, and you'll probably get to know me here, but I'm a quick learner!

We are so excited to have made this decision. CA is not our home, unfortunately. We want to move where there is heart--where we can raise our youngest children.

Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to move from CA to Chapel Hill area in Summer 2015

Tripadvisor is more for travel/vacation info. You might like to check out the city-data forums for relocation advice city-data.com/forum/… . They are a little skewed toward Raleigh/Cary on there, though, perhaps because it's a more populous area.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro have the most desirable school system. Wake county has a school system that is undergoing a lot of controversy and flux. Durham county has some good schools and some that don't have a great rep, but most folks I know there are happy. Mebane would be Alamance county schools and I don't know much about them.

To keep this more on topic for TripAdvisor you should definitely come out before 2015 and visit. Spring is a beautiful time to visit. The weather is not too hot yet and all the spring flowers are blooming.

2. Re: Want to move from CA to Chapel Hill area in Summer 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:16