We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

My husband and I are staying in Charlotte for one night due to a long layover flight . We are have reservations at the Billy Graham Pky Holiday Inn where they provide a free shuttle service to areas within a 3 mile radius of the hotel...we have to check-out at 12:00 and our flight does not leave until 2:30, so we have an hour to spare before we check-in at the airport. I was hoping someone who knows this area could give a few suggestions on what to do in this amount of time.

Thank you!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

Read a book.

There is not much to visit within 3 miles of the airport. There is an aviation museum at the airport that has a decent collection of aircraft, but most are stored outdoors.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

I concur - there is nothing to visit within 3 miles. West is the I-85/Wilkinson Blvd corridor which is industrial and residential. East is BGP which is office buildings and residential. South is either undeveloped or mixed use ( no attractions). North is residential.

The Holiday Inn is actually on Little Rock Rd - not BGP. If you were there during the day, it might be within the three miles to go the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Even if you don't kayak it's fun to watch and they have trails and a restaurant - free admission. But, nothing going on at night. I'm afraid you're hotel-bound. Relax, watch TV, read - or....hire me to take you around town for $25.00 an hour!!!! LOL. Best wishes.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

I just noticed your times......sometimes CLT can get busy. Don't worry about that "extra" hour. Go on to the airport, get through security and find one of the rocking chairs by the window - great people watching!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
90 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

Thats tough. Id probably head on to the airport. Sit at one of the resturants and have a few cocktails. But if not the only thing I can think of to tell you is go grab something to eat. Ummm, there is a Cracker Barrell nearby, Showmars, Miguels Mexican (hole in the wall, but great food and cheap margaritas), Shoneys...... yeah not a lot of offerings out that way. If it was night time Id say go eat at The Ranch House....one of the oldest steakhouses in CLT...and great food.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

Hold it....I just rode down S. Tryon St. and I see the hotel at the corner of S. Tryon and Woodlawn ( BGP) is now a Holiday Inn ( used to be something else). Is that where you are booked? If so, have the shuttle take you over to SouthPark Mall ( I think that's within the 3 mile limit). Otherwise, not much in that area either. Best wishes.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
90 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

If thats the one then there is also the Park Road area....Park Road shopping center....not a ton there to "do" but there are tons of places to eat in that area. Pepperonis, Sir Edmonds, Selwyn Pub, The Roasting Co., Bertucchis, Sushi 101.......

South Park is good too, but it might be outside of 3 miles?!?!? I dont know...South Park has great shopping, lots of good food and fine dining.

Cant go wrong either way.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

Just because of the time factor, I wouldn't try to do anything after checkout at 12 except go to the airport. I just booked something that said one should get to the airport 3 hours ahead now. Don't know about that...we'll do at least the usual two.

But it's a nice airport to be laid over in. There are the famous rocking chairs...real oak and available for sale. They are placed around the large sunny Atrium with places to eat and sit. There are lots of shops and restaurants there and in the concourses to poke around.

We were there about a year ago when there was construction and I understand that's finished now. We used to love to hear the piano players on the grand piano. I hope it's still there. There was a professional player holidays and weekend evenings and other times anyone who felt the desire to express himself professionally could. It was really a relaxing experience with all the sun streaming in, sipping coffee, rocking and watching the air field activity.

There's the 1/2 scale replica of the Wright plane and the Queen's Courtyard with the tall sculpture of Queen Charlotte and the 40' reflecting pond.

I have to see how the construction may have reorganized things but there was a Quiet Zone for resting and working off the Atrium; one could even get a massage at....I believe it was the Body Shop.

And you board 30 minutes or more before takeoff...so you won't be bored.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

blue hasn't shown back up but I think they have an overnight at that hotel. I think he/she may be looking for something to do that evening....I agree they should not try to do anything with that one hour.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
90 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

Im with bud, I think this person has an overnight at a hotel and was wanting something to do before going back to the airport.

With that being said, I havent heard of arriving 3 hours prior...yikes! Its standard 2 hours for international flights and 1.5 hours for domestic. We leave saturday to go to St Thomas and we will be there around 1.5 before. I know when they put the new rules in about liquids and all that lines backed up pretty bad, but now they say its not bad anymore because everyone knows.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit within 3 miles of the airport

One would think. But here's what they asked about pretty specifically:

"We have to check-out at 12:00 and our flight does not leave until 2:30, so we have an hour to spare before we check-in at the airport. I was hoping someone who knows this area could give a few suggestions on what to do in this amount of time."

So an hour free after 12 till check-in at the airport. I still think 1 is a late check-in these days for a flight boarding an hour later. I also figured their long layover/nighttime/hotel stay meant a late late arrival at Charlotte so that they'd want to sleep in. But checking out a few hours before 12 might give some more options.