We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlotte in Charlotte

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Charlotte in Charlotte

Hi,

We are travelling from New Zealand briefly through Charlotte mid August with our 3 year old daughter Charlotte. What are some sights and fun we can have that she can enjoy also.

We are staying near Charlotte airport but have a car.

Are there some good family friendly restaurants you can recommend too?

So far we have the Discovery Place and Carowinds on our agenda - but are also interested in seeing some American History / culture and perhaps local artists.

We only have 4 days and are hoping to also doing some shopping at Concord.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Kiwis

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Concord
Concord
North Carolina
Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

Art galleries are mainly at 36 th street and north davidson called noda. Rays splash planet is an indoor waterparkrun by parks and rec and the price is not expensive to enter. At 7th and college is the museum of the new south and much nc history can be studdied at the Carolina room in the main library downtown. You can usually get discouted carowinds tickets at the customer service counter of any Harris Teeter Grocery Store. If you are staying close to the airport I would advise that you drive everywhere and not walk especially not alone in that area. Most of the area around the airport is less than desirable. If possible avoid driving between 7 and 9 am and 4 to 6 pm as traffic in that area becomes horrific. I would be interested in knowing how far you are willing to travel outside of Charlotte because we are in the dead center of the carolinas. Mountains 2 hours away beaches 4 hours away. On I-77 there are welcome centers. In South Carolina it is about a mile south of the state line and north carolina about 1 mile north. These are great places for information on all attractions in both states.

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

Thanks - we are also visiting Myrtle Beach, SC and Wilmington, NC so will get to see a bit more of the Carolinas en route to those places.

Thanks for the tip about Harris Teeter selling tickets for Carowinds.

Would you suggest we do not stay at the airport area? We are trying to stay within the Hilton Group so I think they had another place on Arrowwood Drive ????

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

Hotels are certainly safe, however the area around the airport is kind of so so. I would recommend the Hilton in UNC area (University of Charlotte). It sits on a small pond around which there are few nice bars with outside sitting.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

The Homewood Suites ( A Hilton Property) is a good property on the backside of the airport. Not much around it so it is quiet. For history, hop on I-85 and drive about 40 minutes south to Kings Mountain National Military Park. This is a federal park dedicated to the battle that turned the tide of the Revolutionary War. There's a nice ( easy) trail around the mountain with graves, monuments, and interpretive plaques - as well as a nice visitor's center. Of course, a 3 year old won't understand the significance, but will enjoy the nature and the trail. Best of all - it's free ( compliments of tax money, LOL).

Other sites in Charlotte of historical nature are Latta Plantation and Hezekiah Alexander House. Also, the Museum of the New South uptown is quite good. You do know there is a Hilton Hotel uptown...but parking is a challenge and it's crowded and busy during the work week.

Best wishes, and welcome.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

P.S. I would not recommend the Arrowood area.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

OH! Sorry - two other Hilton family recommendations....There's a new Embassy Suites at Concord Mills and it has a full service spa and is less than a mile from Concord Mills Mall. Other shopping option - Doubletree Hotel at SouthPark. Across the street from the upscale SouthPark Mall ( if you are looking for bargains, NOT the place...but fun to look). Great restaurants in the SouthPark area, too.

Mentioned in this post
SouthPark
SouthPark
186 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

I stayed in Amerisuites and Courtyard on Arrowood. No issues, probably would not wander alone by night there but I think this is a better area than airport.

Bud - thanks for a tip for Latta Plantation, have not seen it yet.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

kiwi,

Keep in mind drive times as you check out these hotels. There is a not insignificant distance between, for example, Concord and Carowinds. Uptown would be very central to all you wish to do, and it's an extremely visitor-friendly uptown. Nice Hilton there if you have patience with parking during the week. Plus when you hit discovery place and so forth you can be on foot.

There is a decent art gallery in the new Bank of America building, Hearst Tower, and the lobby of the B of A world headquarters building has one of the biggest non-religious frescos in the world. Worth an eye if you like this sort of thing. If you decide to walk around Uptown, here is a nice list of some of the public art if you're interested. www.charlottecentercity.org/nav.cfm…

The mint museum of craft and design is pretty interesting, also right in that area of uptown. Speaking of the Mint Museums, here is a link to some of the collections in Charlotte: http://www.mintmuseum.org/collections.php

The MMA has a notable but limited collection of American art, as well as an eclectic overall collection.

I like the South Park suggetion above personally. Staying near or in Phillips Place or South Park can be a treat if you are in the mood to splurge. Phillips Place is home to fine fashion and fine dining, world-class. In phillips place there is a Hampton Inn, tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49022-d100549-… which is part of the Hilton family. The area is right up the road from South Park. Here is the Phillips Place website: http://www.phillipsplace.info/ They have a great movie theater too. And abundant parking.

Hope any of that is helpful. Let us know how it goes!

Mentioned in this post
Concord
Concord
North Carolina
Phillips Place
Phillips Place
13 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

Thanks to you all so much for this info - we will now spend 2 days in Concord at the new Embassy Suites then 2 days at Hampton Inn in South Park, Charlotte. I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful City!

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Concord
Concord
North Carolina
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charlotte in Charlotte

I would recommend that you just stay put at the Embassy Suites @ South Park! The Concord area is NOT worth the move, especially w/ a child!

At South Park...there are several restaurants encircling the complex.

The "Cheesecake Factory" has a huge menu. The food is okay not great, I find. There are items for children. There is also a food court within the South Park Mall.

If you are travelling towards Concord Mills on 485 from Charlotte, exit onto Rea Rd. and go to the Stonecrest shopping complex on your right as you exit. (The concierge can direct you on surface streets to Stonecrest.)

You could have lunch/dinner there:

Firebirds Restaurant - American fare.

Qdoba Mexican Grill - order your food up front; and take to your table. Outside seating as well.

China Bistro - directly next door. Maybe get a chicken dish for your child.

Marble Slab Ice Cream - next door as well.

There is a Target store in the complex, which has a variety of things. 'Might be of interest to you?!

For an activity:

You could also try the Schiele Museum below. I believe they have a Planetarium. It is located just west of Charlotte in Gastonia.

I think they have interesting things to keep the kids entertained.

1500 East Garrison Blvd.

Gastonia, NC 28054

Phone: 704-866-6900

There is really not a lot to see/do in Charlotte.

Check out the North Carolina Trip Advisor forum for Wilmington for restaurants there. Eat at one of the many that are located along the riverfront. "Quant town.

Mentioned in this post
Concord
Concord
North Carolina
Gastonia
Gastonia
North Carolina