We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking of moving into the area

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indian Trail, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
thinking of moving into the area

My wife and I are in the begining stages of looking into moving from long island to the Charlotte area. We have a 3 year old boy and would like a child friendly area with good schools of course. Would like any input-suggestions on what towns/areas to take a look at. They don't have to be in Charlotte- can be on the outskirts. have looked a little at Mount Holly- any thoughts?

Thank you foany input

florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking of moving into the area

We just moved to Charlotte .Wealso came from long island.Welooked all over but southeast charlotte impressed us.So much growth,low taxes,upscale,friendly,great food etc

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking of moving into the area

Lots of folks are moving out of the NYC Area into

Charlotte and NC it seems....

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: thinking of moving into the area

I live in the Belmont/Mt. Holly area and have seen the enormous growth over the past few years. I can tell you they are going to build thousands of homes in this area over the next few years but there are no plans to add to or improve our roads. It is a nice area but the traffic will soon be the worst in the area thanks to poor planning. The schools on the east end of our county are already full and we have no revenue to build new ones or add space. It will take several years for tax revenue from new housing to be available to build new schools ( or roads).

I am not saying this to discourage you from coming - you are welcome. But you deserve to know what looms on the future. Because I know that, my house might be for sale soon. Wanna buy? LOL. Best wishes.

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking of moving into the area

Bud,

Where are you moving to? Are a lot of people from Charlotte

moving out of the Charlotte Area?

That seems like what has happened to the Atlanta area....

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: thinking of moving into the area

If I move soon I'll go out a little more rural - toward Cleveland County. If I wait a few years I will leave the area - perhaps move to the mountains and retire. It's getting a little too crowded around here for my tastes. Taxes keep going up but services don't improve.

Indian Trail, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: thinking of moving into the area

thanks so far for the input. I was wondering about the taxes and about how much the average homeowner pays. Also was wondering about utility bills.

any info is appreciated

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: thinking of moving into the area

Bud,

Yes, I noticed in 2001 that Charlotte was starting to

get crowded --I noticed that--I hope they don't

get that Atlanta traffic.......

Thats too bad about the tax situation....

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thinking of moving into the area

okay how about SC for a suggestion. You might check out these areas: Fort Mill, Tega Cay (www.tegacaysc.org), Lake Wylie, Clover, York. You might also take a look at the website for York County. Good Luck with your search.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: thinking of moving into the area

car421 - my combined county/city property tax rate is just under $1.40 per hundred dollar value. They revalue the property every four years. My water bill runs 35.00 - 40.00 a month ( for 2 people). We don't wash cars or water lawns. Insurance on 2 vehicles ( no collision on one, minimum coverage on both) runs over a thousand a year ( that's with discounts). Hope this helps.

Clover, SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: thinking of moving into the area

I would look into the Fort Mill, SC area. Very nice place close to the city but with a small town feel. Lower taxes than NC!!