We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlotte for shopping?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester uk
3 posts
Save Topic
Charlotte for shopping?

We are coming from Manchester, England for the first time to North Carolina! (We've had enough Florida to last a few years!). We'd like to know where to stay in Charlotte for 3 days before we head to the mountains. We'd like to be near the shopping malls and attractions, in a safe place, with restaurants etc in walking distance or nearby. We have looked on the Charlotte forums, info etc but still have not much clue to the layout of the city. Can anyone suggest the best area to look at for hotels to suit us?

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

SouthPark area - good hotels, great restaurants, an upscale mall. Hotels around the mall include Doubletree, Marriott, Hyatt, Renaissance, and Hampton Inn.

Not sure what type of attractions you want to see - those are few and far between. What do you want to see/do?

Your other shopping option is north of Charlotte at Concord near the Lowes Motor Speedway. Concord Mills Mall is a huge outlet mall and is the most visited attraction in NC! Plenty of restaurants and lots of mid-range hotels there. There is alse a new Embassy Suites Hotel with a full service spa. It's also easy to zip down I-85 to W.T. Harris and get over to I-77 to Northlake Mall - the newest mall in town.

Those are you best options...if you can fine tune your preferences it might help you get more info.

Best wishes.

NY City
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

Are you visiting family in Charlotte, or coming for a particular event?I am only asking because if you have a limited time in NC, you may want to see some other areas and only spend a couple of days in Charlotte. It is a lovely town, but it is not a pedestrian city, that is, you really need a car. Also, you may find that two days there is plenty. If you have children, a day at the theme park 'Carowinds' would be nice. But you might want to look around and think about seeing more of the mountains, or going to Winston-Salem and touring Old Salem. Could be quite interesting to you as it is akin to Colonial WIlliamsburg. I do not want to rain on your parade, but you really may find that three days in Charlotte is a bit much.

3. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2011, 13:58
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
129 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

I second the suggestions to stay in the Southpark Mall area. There is a huge upscale mall there, loads of restaurants, and nice hotels i that area. There's a DoubleTree next to the Southpark Mall.

If you have kids, I would recommend taking them to Discovery Place uptown, a great interactive science museum for children. There's also an indoor waterpark uptown.

I love Charlotte, but if I were coming from England, I'm not sure I'd spend three days here as we are not a hub of tourist attractions.

You definitely will need a car to get around Charlotte. The Southpark area is pretty close to the airport. About 5 miles.

manchester uk
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

Thank for all the replies--they were very helpful and I' ve a much clearer idea of where to stay now.

Lincolnshire, UK
Level Contributor
811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

Hello

I had a week in Charlotte in Oct 05, and had an excellant time- We stayed in the Holiday Inn in Downtown Charlotte and whilst it was lovely hotel for us the location wasnt very good (we didnt book it though as it was part ththe holiday that we won)

Now i love shopping and could quite happily shop allday everyday!! I liked the South Park Mall as it had more of the upscale type of shops , but i also liked Concord Mills and got plenty of bargains in there.

We also visited a smaller outdoor shopping center which i really liked it had some nice shops and restuarants (one's a english style pub) I think its called Birkdale Village and is somewhere near Huntersville, (though i may be wrong , because i'm pretty hopeless with directions!!)

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

Yes, it's called Birkdale... pretty neat little shopping 'village' and a great wine store!

Wow, this baffles me that people come all the way from the UK and spend multiple days in CLT shopping. This is not meant to offend others - it's just that I don't even want to spend my precious weekend shopping in CLT, let alone a vacation!

Lincolnshire, UK
Level Contributor
811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

Ah no i didnt come just to shop!!

Things are so much cheaper in the US than the UK thats its hard not to go mad shopping, things like Nintendo DS games cost approx $60 here , in Walmart etc they are $30.

We had a week in Charlotte for the October race week- so we spent a couple of days shopping and the rest of the time driving round the various race shops and at the track racing.

We are hoping to come back to Charlotte in May 2009 for the speedweek, we will probably have 10 days in the Charlotte area then have 4 days somewhere else and will have to fit in a trip to Carowinds as the kids will be with us.

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
732 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

This past week we stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, University Place, Charlotte! We had a wondeful stay! I also totally agree with another post, shop at the Concord Mills Mall, best shopping in all of NC!!

Most of all, have a wonderful vacation in North Carolina, we love it here!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Charlotte for shopping?

Now see - that's the reason Concord Mills is the most visited attraction in NC. Amazing, isn't it?!