We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

My husband and I are heading to Charlotte and would like suggestions for a centrally located decent hotel. It is our 1st time to Charlotte and are trying to get a feel for Charlotte. We are also looking for your favorite breakfast, lunch & dinner spots. Any help would be appreciated.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

By centrally located, do you mean uptown? There are some fine hotels there but you will have to pay for parking and the traffic will be heavy during the work week. There you have a Marriott, Hilton, Westin, Omni, etc......

The two locations with good hotels would be Southpark and Ballantyne - in the south side of the city but more upscale areas. here you'll have Ballantyne Resort, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.......

Avoid the west side unless you want something near the airport - then I'd recommend Renaissance Suites or Homewood Suites.

What type of dining are you looking for?

Best wishes for a safe trip.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

Any hotel suggestions or even b&b's in the Southpark area would be good. We like all types of food. My husband especially likes great barbeque. Casual, bistro type food. Good bar food. Italian, seafood, steak, you name it. Just looking for suggestions.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

I heard that the Doubletree Suites was very nice, and it is in the Southpark area.

As far as food goes, I can't direct you on BBQ since we don't care for it -- I'm sure someone else will post on that...but we really like Manzetti's in Southpark. It's reasonable pricewise, and the food is very good. Best of luck :)

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

The Marriott at SouthPark is newly renovated. Not sure about Hyatt. there's a Hampton Inn in that area also. When in the SouthPark area for breakfast we often go to Old Original Pancake House. Also in the area are Cheesecake Factory , Ruth's Chris, and P.F. Chang's. Village Tavern is good, too. McCormick & Schmick's seafood is one of our favorites as well.

Sorry- no BBQ that I know in that area. All the upscale development has about pushed out the regional specialties. Charlotte is not really southern anymore ( sigh). Now - if you want to cross the river to Gaston County, I can show you the good BBQ and fish camps!

best wishes.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

My husband travels alot and eats out 5 nights a week at national chains - are there any local restaurants, rather than national chains that you can recommend? We like to support local businesses.

NC
Level Contributor
469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you find yourself in the downtown area, I would go to The Cajun Queen, Al Michael's, and for soul food look into Mertz's or Simmon's 4th Ward Restraunt. As far a BBQ goes...good luck in Charlotte. You need to go about 3 hours east to find "good" BBQ.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

Hey maddog- the BBQ capital of NC is only one and a half hours up I-85- Lexington, NC!

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

Sorry..."good barbecue" and "North Carolina" should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Go just up 7th street from the Cajun Queen to the Bayou Kitchen. And Prices Fried Chicken in Southend has food so good you'll slap your grandma.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

Newtraveler...I have lived and worked in SouthPark for the past 9 years so I think I can help.

Hotels I would recommend: DoubleTree, Marriott SouthPark, Renaissance SouthPark, Hampton Inn SouthPark. Also the Courtyard and Residense Inn are right there, with a little bit further walk to hit the restuarants (but still not far). I personally send intown family to the DoubleTree.

There are many different non-chain restuarant that you could easily walk to that I would recommend:

M5 - mediterian

Manzettis - Steak

Roosters (my highest recommendation...yum)

Upstream- Seafood

Zebra - upscale

Baoding - Chinese

Harpers (5 store chain) - American

Barringtons (not a walk, but 2 mintue drive...super yum).

Breakfast is SouthParks's weakest offering. Upstream does have a sunday seafood brunch. Can't say I have had breakfast anywhere else except for Original House of Pancakes (across street from mall).

Other than the noted above, there are tons and tons of other chain restuarants to walk to (and some that are only in a handful of cities).

10. Re: Hotel & Dining Suggestions for 1st Time Visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 10:37