We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"must see" neighborhoods

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"must see" neighborhoods

Sinse stumbling on this site I have a million questions, but the most urgent would be this...we are planning a vacation down to the Smoky Mountain area and then on to the Biltmore Estate. Considering we are interested in checking out prospective neighborhoods to relocate to, we thought this would be a perfect opportunity to swing through some of them to get an idea of what was around.

PLEASE suggest the "must see" neighborhoods / areas around Charlotte. If we only had a day to drive through some of these areas, as a native, which would you guide us to? ( I would say we are only looking for homes in the 150-200k range )

Also, how far ( time wise ) is the trip from the Biltmore Estate area to the Charlotte area? This will help in budgeting time on our trip.

Thanks to all and any info you can give me. We are anxious to see where our new home may be!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: "must see" neighborhoods

You are about two hours from Charlotte when at the Biltmore. I'd take I-40 to Highway 321 ( you pick that up in Hickory). Go south to I-85 and that will take you right to Charlotte.

You'll pass through my "area" just before entering Charlotte - that would be Belmont/Mt.Holly. Right off I-85 at exits 26 & 27 ( near the Catawba River). We have many new developments going up. My suggestion would be to make a call to a realtor. There are hundreds of neighborhoods in the region. You could drive and drive and maybe not see what you want. Why not call a realtor, give them your parameters and let them set up some showings or at least give you a map with some neighborhoods marked? They'll be glad to do that.

In our area, Century 21 Castle Finders, Allen Tate, and Coldwell Banker Black & Whisnant are the big companies that serve Gaston and Mecklenburg ( Charlotte). Gaston County has a Visitor's Center at exit 26 - you might get some info there.

If chose to do it on your own, I'd take I-85 to I-485 ( just past the river a couple of miles). I -485 will take you into southern Mecklenburg County. Many of the nieghborhoods in your range will be off that road - Arrowood Blvd exit, Johnston Rd, Providence Rd, etc......there are hundreds of them as I said.

Best wishes, and have a great trip!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "must see" neighborhoods

how about Fort Mill/Tega Cay, SC. Close to Charlotte, Lake Wylie and more. I'm a transplant from CA and we ended up in Tega Cay (www.tegacaysc.org). If I am correct I believe taxes are less as well. What ever you decide good luck and hope you enjoy!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "must see" neighborhoods

I agree with Bud the $150,000-$200,000 home is a huge portion of the market here; you'd need a professional who knows the area well to help to narrow down areas to concentrate on based on your wants and needs.

Best Wishes!

Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "must see" neighborhoods

Thank you all for your advice! I've bookmarked this page and will take this information along with us. Looks like the housing is cheaper down south than in Ohio, and from what I've been reading, most places.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "must see" neighborhoods

Just curious as to why you chose Charlotte? My friends and I visit Charlotte when we want to go clubbing or to a Panthers game or shopping (at Anthropolgie, which unfortunately is not in every mall), but I wouldn't want to live there. Don't get me wrong, I love to visit, but I want to wake up every morning and look out the window to see something beautiful... and then go for a walk through a winding mountain path.

I noticed you mentioned hiking, fishing, etc, as one of the key things you wanted to do. Have you considered the Carolina mountains? The Boone/Blowing Rock area is only 2 hours from Charlotte is a great place to live. I have lived in Raleigh and Cleveland, and find that I always come back.

If you don't have to move to Charlotte for an specific reason, I suggest considering other areas of NC.

Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: "must see" neighborhoods

We chose Charlotte because my husband took a recent trip to the area and was impressed with the charm and cleanliness of the area. He said there were alot of nice neighborhoods but didn't know exactly where they were at as he was with a group and not driving. We were already planning a summer vacation to the Smoky Mountain / Biltmore Estate and figured we'd run through the Charlotte area and explore. Of course, I'm thrilled that I stumbled upon this site and all the great advice and direction I've gotten so far! Much more informative than reading articles! lol

We are naive when it comes to your state, as I personally have never lived anywhere else. With that said, we are soon to be entering the "empty nest" chapter of our lives and are keeping an open mind as far as our options...including relocating to a more gentle and predictable climate, especially where you aren't wishing away most of a year waiting for warmer weather. Any farther south get's too humid for me and I would despise that more than our snow. I also like the fact that you still get the season changes. I would miss that...

We've heard alot of northerners relocate to North Carolina and are curious to see what options are there for us. Although we'd love to live near a lake, it seems the costs are prohibitive. The mountains are wonderful, but we'd also want to be closer to shopping etc. I personally ( not my husband ) do not want to be isolated or have to commute far to enjoy the city. Right now we are about 25 minutes outside of Cleveland in a suburb...the best of both worlds. And, yes, I do know and LOVE the ambiance and atmosphere of Chagrin Falls but again...a bit pricey. Could you find me the same but in the 150-200,000 range? lol

Again, thanks for all info. I research most areas that are suggested. I'm getting more confused...but more informed!