We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question: is it wise to move to Charlotte without a job...

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Question: is it wise to move to Charlotte without a job...

This forum has really been so helpful to us! I was wondering if anyone could comment on how difficult it may be to find a job in Charlotte AFTER moving there? My husband has close to 10 years' experience selling capital equipment in the industrial & manufacturing industries, including international sales. The next logical move for him is w/ a company that would offer room for advancement in terms of management opportunities. How is the market in Charlotte for industrial & manufacturing sales? Here in Chicago, there is a wealth of opportunities in these industries, but we're not sure what Charlotte would have to offer for him and whether we should "take the plunge" before having a job lined up? Thankfully, I currently am based out of a home office so can take my job anywhere. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Question: is it wise to move to Charlotte without a job...

Now - I don't want to sound too discouraging - the perfect job could just be here for your husband. But, to be blunt, the manufacturing industry has been pretty well gutted in this area due to NAFTA. Textiles were always our mainstay- they are almost gone - as are such companies as Homelite - who used ot be big here. This economic powerhouses in this area are finance/banking, medical, and service industries. Best wishes.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question: is it wise to move to Charlotte without a job...

I work for a company that manufactures various types of industrial equipment, but only the headquarters is in Charlotte. All of the plants are in other locations, including Chicago, oddly enough! Most manufacturing plants that I know of are in rural type areas outside of Charlotte.

No longer on Long...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question: is it wise to move to Charlotte without a job...

I won't hve a definate job till I get there, but I am not too worried. I'm an RN and there seems to be a lot of work out there. Don't know yet about my husband...... but someone has to watch the kids. ;)

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question: is it wise to move to Charlotte without a job...

to mtbacon: may I suggest you, or your Husband take a look at the following website, Charlotte Chamber of Commerce (http://www.charlottechamber.com/home.cfm) and/or the York County Chamber of Commerce (www.yorkcountychamber.com/home.aspnster.com). Maybe this might help with at least letting you know what companies are out his way. Another thought is Monster.com.

to tomskatt: you know....there are quiet a few stay at home Dad's here....with many of the Wife's being in the banking or airline industry.