We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

Hi,

We live in Raleigh and we're going to Carowinds next weekend. Where is the best location to stay near Carowinds?

Also, I'm going to attempt priceline, so could you help me with the list. Thanks!!!

Here are the options:Step 1: Choose where you want to stay.

Choose more than one area in Charlotte, NC to improve your chances.

1 Charlotte - South Park – detail map Best deal

2 Charlotte Airport (CLT) – detail map Best deal

3 Concord - Kannapolis – detail map Best deal

4 Downtown Charlotte – detail map Best deal

5 Executive Park - Charlotte South – detail map Best deal

6 Fort Mill - Carowinds – detail map Best deal

7 Gastonia – detail map Best deal

8 Independence – detail map Best deal

9 Matthews – detail map Best deal

10 North Charlotte -Northlake – detail map Best deal

11 Pineville - Piper Glen - Ballantyne – detail map Best deal

12 Rock Hill – detail map Best deal

13 University Area – detail map Best deal

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

There are a couple of budget motels at Carowinds - feedback here on TA is that they are OK- not fancy, but OK. The closert back to town ( Charlotte) you get from Carowinds, the less safe the area becomes.

From you list...I only recommend 1, 6, 11, or 12.

Best wishes.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

Thank you!!!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
192 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

I agree with Bud. I'd recommend a hotel along I-485 in the Pineville or even Matthews area. It is easy to get to Carowinds from I-485 to I-77 south. Plus you have a lot of dining options around the Carolina Place mall in Pineville.

Also a little FYI; Tryon St. is going to be closed in uptown for most of next Saturday (Aug 2nd) afternoon & evening due to the bicycle race.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

To cuteboysmom - The only area that I would change on Bud's list is #6 (Fort Mill/Carowinds).

There is just to much crime activity there (drugs, car break-ins, etc.) and it only gets worse during the summer months (when Carowinds is open).

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

That's a good point tega....but I heard on the news this past week there is a rash of car break ins in the Carowinds parking lots - so even if you stay in a "safer" area, aren't you still at risk just by parking there? Bottom line- don't have ANYTHING valuable in your car when you go.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

A few weeks ago 4 cars were broken into, all in the same day (in the a.m.). Apparently since the opening of Carowinds (this year) there's been a total of 10 car break-ins within the parking lot, along with 3 cars that were stolen while the owners were inside the park.

While it's true your vehicle may be at some form of risk at Carowinds - I would still rather it be just my vehicle versus my whole family in harms way. My car, or anything else inside is replaceable - my family is not (my vote is for a hotel located in a safer area). :)

I might also mention that as a family we have season passes to Carowinds so we are there a lot. We have never felt concerned for our safety, yet at the same time I would personally never stay at any of the hotels across the street.

The Carowinds area sits right next to the SC/NC stateline, with easy on and off interstate access. There does not seem to be a week that goes by that the crime blotter in our local newspaper makes mention of crime activity that has taken place at one of the hotels there.

p.s. Hello bud! ;)

Save Reply
7. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

I would definitely stay in the SouthPark area. The Hampton Inn Suites is a great location. You can walk down to PF Chang's or Dean and Deluca for a bite to eat and Southpark Mall is down the street. There is also a Courtyard Marriott, which is also in a great location, (across from the mall). Carowinds is only 20 minutes from there (on a bad day) and you can either take the back roads to get there(Park Rd to Hwy 51) or get onto 77 via Fairview/Tyvola. Have fun!

8. Re: Best are to stay in for Carowinds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 17:20