We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about moving to Charlotte area

Portland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about moving to Charlotte area

We are considering moving to Charlotte but I'm concerned about living in the bible belt. We do not go to church and are socially liberal. After seeing all of the mega-churches down there I'm worried we won't find like-minded people. I am cool with other people doing what works for them but I don't want people breathing fire and brimstone down my neck. Will my kids be ostracized for not attending a conservative church? Thanks for any input.

DiR
Minneapolis
5 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Question about moving to Charlotte area

Okay, Mickey. What neighborhood did you raise your kids?

I'm looking to relocate w/ a 2yr old and want to find a community that is safe, urban and diverse.

Washington, DC
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Question about moving to Charlotte area

I've lived all over (Charlotte, Texas, NYC, DC area, Mississippi) and seems to me you will find liberals, progressives and conservatives who will push their opinion on you if you let them.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the "Bible belt". I think you'll like Charlotte!!

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Question about moving to Charlotte area

If you are looking for a liberal city this is it. Charlotte is probably the most liberal city in the southeast. We have wonderfully high taxes. A mass transit distaster. 3 tax payer coliseums why do we need more than 1?. The county commission city council and school board are more than 60% democrat and all but two republicans in this area are really democat. We have the highest per cappita number of nuddie bars in the country. We also have a Knight Ridder owned daily newspaper. If you are looking for a liberal community Charlotte is your location.

Washington, DC
9 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Question about moving to Charlotte area

I would HARDLY call Charlotte a liberal city. Puh-leeze.

No longer on Long...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Question about moving to Charlotte area

Routeguy: I am just curious... Every post you leave rings of anger and disgust. I totally understand what it is to be unhappy with the area you are living in. I guess I would like to know why you don't either work to change it or leave? I have similar feelings about Long Island and have finally chosen to move on, after sadly realizing I couldn't change it. Is this not an option for you?