We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

euclid
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

we are traveling to florida on oct 18th we will traveling via I-77 south, and we want to stop half way to rest ect.. charlotte is our halfway point and i need some advise on where to stay along the I-77 corridor, we want to stay in charlotte as we were advised to get off at an exit that is populated with hotels ect...can someone advise where to stay, what exits to use and where to avoid, we are thinkin safety for our family of four, we will be stayin one night. please any advise would be helpful we do not want to stray to far from the highway, also any grocery stores nearby would be great or fast food restaurants .. is charlotte a nice area?? thanks advice is time sensitive as i am making hotel reservations for florida as we speak thanks again...

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

Exit #25, Huntersville (just north of Charlotte). Nice clean hotels, shopping, and restaurants. Another option is exit #18, Harris blvd. Both stops have are safe, hotels, clean, and plenty of restaurant options. (exit #18 has a large shopping Mall, #25 has Birkdale Village (outdoor, village type shopping/eateries).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
192 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

A agree. I would say the WT Harris Blvd. exit; You have some good hotels and Northlake mall and a lot of restaurants. If you want to go ahead a drive through Charlotte and stop just on the other side, the Hwy 122 David Lyle Blvd. in Rock Hill, SC would be a good option. Rock Hill Galleria Mall, hotels, and restaurants. If you wanted to say and one of the high-end hotels downtown you'd get off at Trade Street, but then you'd have to fight traffic and pay for parking.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

Be careful around Northlake Mall at night - but that's good advice anywhere in Charlotte.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

My husband's company has their Christmas part every year at the Hilton on Tyvola Rd right off the exit from 77. I think it's the 'Hilton Charlotte Executive Park' to be exact. Very nice hotel w/ a wonderful staff. Not too bad on the price either, and it's literally right off the highway. Have fun!

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

I probably would avoid anywhere on 77 just south of center city until you hit the Gold Hill Rd. exit. There are a lot of hotels around Carowinds Blvd. in SC, but they aren't the most upscale. There also isn't too much shaking in the area besides a few restaurants. If you take one exit off 77 to 485 W and go to the S. Tryon St. Exit (takes literally 2 minutes), hook a left there is a new area called Arsley. There is a Hilton Garden Inn over there along with a lot of restaurants, movie theatre and a grocery store, Lowes and Walmart, very nearby. The area where the hotel is at night is perfectly fine, where the grocery store, Lowes, Walmart, can get a little dicey at night. I would say that, or like another review said stay north or hit up SC off Dave Lyle. If you do find some hotels, you can always repost to get more opinions.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

I lived in Charlotte for over 20 years and recently moved. Stay in Cornelius exit 28 or go on down into SC. There is no place beside the interstate that is where I would want to be. No matter how nice the hotel all the areas around 77 are dicy neighborhoods at minimum. If you stay in Meck County please remove everything from your car. If your car is broken into or stolen in a hotel parking lot the police will not even come out and investigate. They will take the info on the phone and mail you a police report. Beleive me the thugs know that cars in hotel lots are freebees.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

I agree to always be aware of your surroundings and use common sense when venturing out into a new area, but I also have stayed in many Charlotte hotels over the years and have never had any problems. (although I do agree there are SOME to avoid) But even the one I mentioned off 77 was safe IMO. There were several parties being held there including weddings, and that's every year we've been. Yep, and even my car was still there in the morning. =) Again, have fun on your trip!

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

Just to clarify, the hotels I have stayed in in Charlotte mainly have been uptown, w/ a few in Matthews. (which would be too far for you). The only one I do have experience in right off the hwy is the Hilton I mentioned, which I did find safe and nice. There are some bad areas, as in any city, and it looks like the previous posters may know more about the hotels 'right' off the hwy than I. Haven't had to stay over there much! =) Good luck.

Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

I second Exit 25 in Huntersville. There are several nice hotels and Birkdale Village is a great place to walk, eat and unwind after a day in the car. I believe there is a Residence Inn on the Birkdale side of I77 - just past Birkdale Village on the right.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling to florida, passing thru Charlotte via I-77 south

I also suggest #25 and #18!