We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Democrats in Charlotte?

Michigan
11 posts
Save Topic
Democrats in Charlotte?

I don't want to offend anyone on this board, but I'm considering a move to Charlotte and one thing I'm concerned about is the overall climate in terms of politics and values. I'm not a raging activist - just a garden variety progressive who fears feeling out of place in (what I understand to be) a very red state. I'm a person of faith but definitely would not fit in with evangelical-types. I'm straight and engaged but would hate to live in a community that's insensitive to gays. I'm white but don't want to be surrounded entirely by other white people. I abhor guns, hunting, bigotry, corporate greed and, most of all, the bush administration. I'm sure you get my drift. Does anyone have input on this? Would you say Charlotte overall is a fairly open-minded community? Would I be a fish out of water? And again, I really hope I'm not offending anyone. I'll be the first to acknowledge that, as someone who's always lived in "blue" states, most of my fears are probably based on stereotypes. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

P.S. Are there any specific communities in the Charlotte area that are known for diversity and open-mindedness.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

There aren't really any "Blue" states, just "Blue" metro areas that throw off the whole state. Ok maybe California is the exception.

Sorry can't comment on Charlotte since I don't live there (yet) but I'd imagine (from what bud41 has said in the past) that you won't find a problem fitting in. Unless you end up being my neighbor, then we might have problems :) .. i joke

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

I am a native Charlottean and quite conservative. The area is basically conservative, but the city is also quite diverse. The Charlotte City Council is dominated by democrats. The NC General Assembly is dominated by democrats. The governor of our state is a democrat. There are many strong evangelical churches in the city - I attend one of them who every week feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, ministers to the homeless, visit those in prison, etc...Having said that - there are over 700 religious congregations of every imaginable persuasion.

Charlotte is a racially diverse city - much more so than many cities in the north. I agree your fears are based on unreasonable stereotypes. Why not come for a visit?

Also- I would like to say that in my experience, many people who claim to be "tolerant" and open-minded..are so only with people of their open persuasion. They are tolerant of everyone except conservatives. LOL. I hope that's not you. Doesn't sound like it - you post actually had some courtesy to it - I appreciate that. Sounds like you'd make a good addition to our community. Best wishes.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

after living most of my life in CA (and that's a long time :o) we moved to SC just about a year and a half ago. Now I'm sure we all know what everyone thinks and says about people from California...and I'm telling you....if I can fit it here (and love it).....you will have no problem at all!

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Writer78 - are you committed to Charlotte? Have you considered Chapel Hill or Carrboro, two of the most liberal towns in America? I count myself among our liberal community and would love to have you here. Take one look at the first page of the attached website and you get a flavor for who we are.

northcarolinatravels.com/carrboro/index.htm

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

That's right! We like to keep all the liberals in the eastern part of the state! LOL - just kidding.

No longer on Long...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

You can count me in as another democrat moving to the

Charlotte area! Btw, the only republican I have no tolerance for is my husband. ;) And I too am open minded to those that have a similar mind to mine! You know, the one's that are right! Right as in "correct" that is! ;) Kidding again!

Michigan
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Thanks so much for all of your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Bud41, I hope you don't feel I was disparaging your religion in any way with what I wrote about evangelicals. When I said I wouldn't feel comfortable around evangelical-types, I meant as a cultural concern - not a religious objection. Just like if I said I probably wouldn't fit in as a Northeasterner amongst Southern Belles. Anyway, I'm sorry it came off the wrong way. Sounds like your church is doing some great things in the community.

Charlotte
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Hey writer78,

Just to answer a few of your questions. I am a northerner that has lived in Charlotte for about ten years, and I am a very active democrat. Just for the record the county (Mecklenburg County, home of Charlotte) went blue on all races last November, except for two. The two races where Sid Sowers in the 103 North Carolina House race, and Jack Flynn for the 9th Congressional District of North Carolina. And in those districts, a democrat is never going to win. So, that's just for the record.

Down here you will have to deal a bit with close mindedness. There is still a war being declared on public schools, and busing. However, (and as a die hard democrat) the school do have a problem, but they are based more on economics that on color. Unfortunately, education is not valued down here.

Fortunately enough, there does seem to be a good amount of racial harmony. That is unless you spend a lot of time on construction sites, but that is directly related to the de-valuation of public education.

The one aspect that I have found hard to adjust to over the past ten years is the "keep up with the Jones���������s" type of people that you run into in the neighborhoods. That has always bothered me, and continues too. This is a banking capital, with very little in between. The banks don't really care about what they are doing with the employment rates either. They will over hire about once a years, and then when approaching the quarterly reports they lay everybody off. As a result, there are huge fluctuations in the housing standards and the amount of foreclosures that occur; mainly because of the "keep up with the Jones���������s" attitudes exhibited. It's unfortunate, but I have heard that most banking capitals go through the same thing.

Overall, if you have a decent job, you'll have a great time in the City. I'd recommend it.

Charlotte, NC
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Kerry won Charlotte, so that tells you something. You wouldn't be a fish out of water in most of the city, especially in neighborhoods like Dilworth or Plaza-Midwood, BUT if you wind up in Southeast Charlotte, which has some great houses and is where most of the bankers live, you'll be in Republican heaven.

There's plenty for progressives and open-minded, creative people here. To be honest, however, if you have a choice, your concerns would be better met in other NC cities such as Asheville, Chapel Hill and Durham.

Hope this helps.

(I've lived here for 20 years and have lived other places including Montclair, NJ, Brussels, and Denver, just to give you an idea of whether I'd know what I'm talking about or not). Good luck.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

It does not promote goodwill to call people who have different political views from your own "closed-minded". It only serves to illustrate what you say you are against - and it is arrogant. This could possibly be why some native southerners have a bad impression of people from the north who

come down here to "straighten us out". If you are for tolerance, then practice it and show some courtesy. Best wishes.