We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yankees Leaving Charlotte

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yankees Leaving Charlotte

I hesitated to post this but the forum is for honest feedback and I think it is worth some thought.

The past few days I've heard more than one person on our local talk radio station call in during discussions about problems facing Charlotte. Many of the callers are people who have moved in from out of state during the past 10 years. More and more are planning to move OUT of the Charlotte area. Why? The schools, crime, taxes, etc....

I know everything is relative. Some newcomers may be coming from areas where there is MORE of that problem than what is perceived in Charlotte. And, I don't want to give the impression that the area is not a decent place to live.

But, be very knowledgeable - you may jump from the frying pan into the fire. There are issues in the area that don't appear to have any imminent solution. Today one of our posters told me she is considering a move "sight unseen" to the area. This concerns me greatly.

I grew up here and have many friends and family in the region. My church is here, my job is here, there are many pluses. But, I can tell you also that as quickly as is financially possible, I will be moving from this area. We've been in too many wrecks to and from work ( not our fault), taxes and insurance are skyrocketing, crime is exponentially increasing, and it's just not the place in which I grew up . It's too busy and the local governments are inept.

Now - someone who has recently moved here will reply to my post and scathingly rebuke me because they have a wonderful life here. That is fine - that's what a forum is all about. I have a good life too and I'm a pretty content fellow. But, I know where I can have a better life! LOL.

I want to be helpful to all who wish to explore moving to the Charlotte area - but you need to know honest perspectives. Mine is one. I'm not a cheerleader for the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce! LOL. I am John Q Citizen.Be sure it is the right move. Charlotte may be great for you - but it is not Utopia.

Best wishes.

boston
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

Wow, very honest and insightful for anyone that will read this post. Personally, I appreciate this kind of opinion from someone who has lived their life in the area. bud41, do you consider the surrounding area just as bad? Why are you waiting to move and where will you go? out of state? I do think anywhere you go there will be problems, I live in a very rural area in Massachusetts and you would never know of the problems until you experience it for yourself. Do you think Cary is an ok area? better than Charlotte? what type of crime are we talking here? Where I live it is very beautiful, not much crime but the towns surrounding...not too nice!! Gangs, shootings... etc..

It really must be everywhere, unfortunately...:( take care.

Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

And I for one, appreciate it Bud! I have been researching the Carolina's as an option for retirement/semi-retirement for months now. And yes, the "grass always looks greener" as the saying goes. But when it comes to moving ANYWHERE than where I've been my whole life...I am clueless! I depend on people such as yourself for guidance AND YES...honesty!

As with anywhere anyone chooses to live, there are good and bad, pro's and con's...and varying degrees of both. Thank God we live in the age of technology where it does allow us to instantly and openly discuss the many options we have in today's world. Sites such as these have been invaluable to me as I search for information!

I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly about anywhere I may choose to take my family and spend the rest of my livelong days. It's the only way to be able to make an informed, educated, mature decisions.

So thank you, as you personally have been of great help time and time again!

Princess

boston
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

ps are the drivers that bad in the south? or are the highways too crowded? I visited virginia beach this summer and I could not believe how fast people from the area were driving... I am a massachusetts driver and I thought we had a road rage problem....

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

Mcgraw - we're looking west - toward the mountains.

Type of crime? Everything! A lot is drug related. But it ranges- petty to violent. Another car-jacking today. Gangs are growing here as well.

Traffic source? All the Yankees who moved down here! LOL. I'm kidding but most natives believe that! Really it's just the crowding with not enough roads...and illegal aliens.

My wife and I were in a city about an hour and half west from Charlotte for a funeral recently. It was like a different world. We are weary from the "busy-ness". It looked very inviting. I won't tell you which town - we want it to stay unspoiled!

We also have visited some smaller towns in AZ such as Payson and Prescott and we like those - but I think unless our gov't can get control of our borders we don't want to go there.

We're building up for retirement right now and we live in a decent neighborhood and a fine small town that will change drastically over the next few years. Hopefully our real estate will keep growing in value and we can sell it to someone from NY and head for the hills! LOL.

Rural Mass.? One of the most beautiful places we've ever been. We drove around the Mass. countryside last November - gorgeous!

It's true- everywhere has good and bad points.

Best wishes!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

RE: Cary - my cousin was on the police force there for a while. It has some nice neighborhoods and good amenities but typical crime for a bedroom community to a metro area. Again - drugs fuel a lot of the problem.

washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

I have been following this forum for the last two weeks. I have always looked forward to hearing what you have to say Bud41. I guess everyone is looking for the same thing. A nice, safe, inexpensive place to raise their family. That place is hard to find if you still need to work. You have to live in or near a big city. I truly understand exactly what you are saying. I so want to leave the busy-ness of city life.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

Hey Bud-I can fully understand what you are saying about Charlotte and the surrounding areas. I have read many of your postings and it has given me insight into what it would be like to have lived here all my life and see all the changes that are taking place. Just in the short time we have lived here...it saddens me to see what is happening....but then I also realize that I am part of the reason for all of these changes. Although I knew there was no such thing as what you call Utopia...I did feel that the first time I came to the Carolina's that you all had been keeping a pretty good little secret from the rest of the world. Here as everyone flocked to the west coast and claimed it to be Heaven on Earth....the Carolina's just quietly let the good life go by at a rocking chairs pace and loved every minute of it. I know now after time has passed and the shine has worn off just a bit...that like any other city it too has its flaws. I know things will keep changing yet it is still so many light years away from where I came from I am willing to ride this one out for the long haul. Now for anyone else considering a move to the Carolina's I too would not move back here sight unseen....it's not for everyone (just ask my Mother In Law :o) p.s. now Bud you must realize that the west is not Utopia as well.....I come from AZ (still have tons of family there as well as CA) and they too have their problems....I might suggest a few areas for you to check out though since you like to travel (Twain Harte, CA....Chino Valley, AZ....Durango, CO). Take care!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
506 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

Bud,

I'm with you. My husband and I have lived in Charlotte for 30 years and we will be leaving as soon as our last child is out of high school. By the way, they are in a private school that cost us $30,000 a year, because I would never put a child in Charlotte Public schools as long as I could afford it.

We love certain aspects of Charlotte, but the taxes are killing us. As we like to say, we don't really own our homes, we just rent them from the city. We are angry at the way they spend our tax money, i.e. new basketball arena. Charlotte is a very prosperous city and we have reaped those rewards, but beware, you need a lot of money to live well in this city.

Level Contributor
787 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

bud - I'll put in a good word for your town. The Carolinas Medical Center staff in Charlotte just finished taking care of my sister for the past three weeks.

She had a brain tumor removed and the predicted one week stay lasted three weeks. I travelled back and forth and my folks stayed at a hotel - just changed names, Best Western I think - with a great discounted rate for hospital visitors and free shuttle to the hospital. They were treated like family.

I also stayed in the Hospitality House next to the hospital for two nights - free of charge!

My new van was hit while in the parking garage of the hotel and the person left me a note. She met me in the waiting room later that day and I had the check from the insurance company within a week!

Nurses came in and prayed with my sister and treated her with utmost respect.

I was bummed that I couldn't take advantage of your tax free back to school shopping that was going on, or the awesome farmers market that was "the" place to be on certain days of the week.

I pray you don't need these facilities but boy, did they take care of my family above and beyond the call of duty!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Yankees Leaving Charlotte

Yes, our hospitals have good reputations. Charlotte does have fine nealth care facilities and some good people. I'm glad you had these good experiences. We do have a good farmer's market - I'm on my way over there as a matter of fact to get some salsa and baba ganoush! Best wishes to you and your family.