We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Prepared

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NEW ORLEANS, LA
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Not Prepared

My husband and I was planning to relocate from New Orleans to Charlotte, or some other area in NC, but we never thought it would happen this soon. We are now living in Charlotte, but not prepared. Under any other circumstance it would have been wonderful. It is a very nice place, but now we have to start over from the beginning, and really not prepared for the sudden change. It is difficult, but we will deal with it. Could you give me some pointers on driving in Charlotte. It is very different. I find it difficult to cross the major streets because traffic turning or coming toward you. There is no yield for pedestian. any other advice would be appreciated, and on the weather.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Prepared

Harris - I'm happy for you and your husband, that you've been able to make the move to Charlotte, and yes, it's terrible that you had to make it under less-than-optimal situation. Just a few followup comments to your questions:

I agree that in many cities it seems as if cars have the right-of-way. I live in a relatively small city here in NC (Chapel Hill) and there are streets here I wouldn't dare cross as a pedestrian. I think some of this comes with time when you relocate to another place - you gradually start learning more and more about the place. I remember moving to Philadelphia for a year and not taking my car, so I had to learn the bus system and subway system. I thought I would never get the hang of it. But, gradually, with some time and some frustration I began to get used to it and ended up really liking it! Keep that in mind as you learn your way around Charlotte. Things sometimes just take time. I've not spent any time in Charlotte so can't offer any Charlotte-specifics thoughts.

What question did you have about weather? It's been raining a lot here lately, it just seems like lots of places are having kind of crazy weather right now.

I've noted from your earlier posts that you are a nurse. Are you working? If so, where did you find employment? Is that going well for you?

Please let us know if we can answer any other questions for you as you settle into this new phase of life.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Prepared

The climate here is fairly mild winter highs are commonly in the fifties. We usually get rain or freezing rain and very little snow. You can easilly go 3 years in Charlotte without ever seeing snow. Freezing rain (falls as rain and freezes on contact) which is our major winter storm brings down power lines at the time when it is the coldest. I highly reccomend a good generator strong enough to keep refridgerator and freezer and furnace going preferably enough extra to run a tv or other convience device. As a nurse you should easilly be able to find a job in the area. If you have no luck in Charlotte check out Statesville, Gastonia or even Winston Salem if you are willing to go that far. There are several good quality hospitals in this area along with many doctors offices. Driving or walking never jump into traffic just as the light turns red because at least two more cars will try to go under. I would only trust cross walks with stop lights on the busy thoughfairs for crossing on foot but alway watch for traffic turning or running the red light. Charlotte driving rules seem to be do not go closest to closest lane do not turn signal and what does that big three colorred light thing in the intersection mean anyway. With practice you will learn to drive as bad as the rest of us. I do not think I could pass a driving test now if I had to after years of driving in Charlotte. Good luck with your relocation.

NEW ORLEANS, LA
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Prepared

Thank you for the good advice and your concern. No I have not gotten a job yet. I have had several interviews but nothing has panned out. I am not worrying about it because I want to take my time and not rush into something that may not be for my benefit. I don't need anymore stress in my life. I will keep all this in mind. Thanks again.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Prepared

Harris - thanks for checking back in with us. Please continue to post if you have any questions about your new home state, be it permanant or temporary.

NEW ORLEANS, LA
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Prepared

Is it a little less confusing with the driving or getting around in Matthews or other areas. I would like to stay in North Carolina, but we aRE thinking about something of less traffic,

and a LITTLE LESS CONGESTION. THANKS.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Prepared

Try a day trip to Winston Salem, Highpoint or Greensboro. The congestion is not nearly as bad as Charlotte. Decent paying jobs in that area are harder to find. Most of the better paying jobs are retail management if you have experience.

NEW ORLEANS, LA
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Prepared

How is the salary there in Winton-salem, Greenboro, and other for nurses? Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Prepared

Several of my aunts are nurses or retired nurses from that area. The pay is generally comparable with Charlotte. They will all say that they are underpaid and maybe so but the salaries are good better than most would ever admit. One of my Aunts works at the Statesville Hospital a little lower paid but nice town with lower cost of living so the pay-vs-cost of living makes it about even. Iredell county has excellent schools also. Nurses are in demand all accross NC with decent pay.