We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

Charlotte, nc
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

I will be in Myrtle Beach this weekend and I need to get to Charlotte on Sunday (10/25/09), but I will not have my car. The grayhound bus site says it is a 13 hour bus ride (Too Long) and the plane ticket is $400 (Too Much). So any ideas on how to use public transit to get from Myrtle Beach to Charlotte.

Thanks,

Brian

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

I'd rent a car. Cheaper than airfare, faster than the bus. There's no passenger train.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

Yes, a one way car rental would be your best bet.

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

Be careful with the one way rentals, they often charge by mile, sadly it might end up being cheaper to fly (check out the different rental companies, you never know). Maybe you can see if you can book a flight on Priceline? Sorry we can't help more, there really aren't a heck of a lot of options.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

One real way to find out.....when you call the rental companies, just ask if there is a mileage charge in addition to the drop-off charge. By experience, I have found that there is not. But, the drop-off charge might be staggering, depending on the rental company. Good Luck.

Charlotte, nc
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

Thanks everybody. Sad to hear that there are not many options. I will check out the rental car situation and let everybody know the price.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

Not sure what type of public transportation you were expecting. Your options are a bus, a car rental, or an airplane. Alamo and Budget are $75 to $95 (depending or car type) with no drop fee. When you pick your car up, make sure that is in writing.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

I really wish we had great trains!

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

Me too! I travel a lot for work with in the Carolinas and would be wonderful to have trains as at least an option. Unfortunately I tried traveling by rail from central VA to MD and was a bit of a nightmare (they had an 8 hour delay, sent us on a bus with a driver who had no idea where she was going and a 2 hour drive ended up taking 4.5). We definitely need to try and make improvements to the current rail line before we add others.

Charlotte, nc
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

I found an car from budget car rental for $52 plus taxes and fees. Looks to be the best option. I was very sad there was not a train or bus that would've been feasible.

Thanks again everybody.

10. Re: Myrtle Beach to Charlotte Public Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte